Gibson Brands Forums

NGD....well, last week anyway....

ksdaddy

I've been hoping to find one of these for about 5 years now, just to say I have one. In the late 70s and early 80s Normand Boucher and Robert Godin made (as one of their ventures) a line of guitars branded "LYS" (pronounced "LEE"). In late 1980 there was a bad fire at the Quebec factory and Godin basically bought Boucher out. Godin continued to make LYS guitars for 3 or 4 years until he came out with the Seagull S-6. I have no idea how many LYS were made. I assume not many because I almost never see them. I've seen a few come up for sale but they all had horrific problems, headstocks screwed back on with drywall screws, etc. This one looks like it's barely been touched. I think the case is Japanese and likely not original. The high serial number and the presence of neck bolts would indicate late production, possibly as late as 1984. I have no idea what the back and sides are. It arrived with a slightly lifting bridge and when I pulled the bridge pins, the bridge fell off in my hands. I've reattached it and I just need to do some final polishing around it. The strings are 100 years old and I have no idea what they are but they sound old and dead and thumpy. I have a new set of strings for it but I'm leery of changing them, as the old ones are so sweet. I'll set them aside maybe.

HPIM3259.JPG

HPIM3260.JPG

HPIM3261.JPG

HPIM3262.JPG

HPIM3263.JPG

HPIM3265.JPG

HPIM3264.JPG

My Word, that's Sweet!

I'm sure you've already done the 'Fleur de Lys' thing so I won't mention it...

Is that a Braz Rosewood p'head facing?

All those inlay dots and the inner label (literally!) scream 'Hand-Made-by-People-Who-CARE!!!'.

Great Score, ksd!

I'm going to be following this with interest!

Pip.

So far I'm liking it. I haven't changed strings yet. It has 13-56 old old strings. I bought a new set of Elixir Nanoweb 13-56 which I MAY put on it. It has a nice tone and feel, and seems like a good rugged all around guitar. I did hear from Jerryb here on the forum who collects them and he confirmed it was made around 1984. He said it has an Adirondack Spruce top and walnut b&s. I was on the couch thumping it last night and an intoxicating fragrance wafted up from the sound hole. I inhaled deeply and marveled at it. Penny said it smelled musty. I said it smelled like old wood and continued to snort, adding that I would wear it as a cologne if it were on the market. She wrinkled her nose at that.

...an intoxicating fragrance wafted up from the sound hole. I inhaled deeply and marveled at it. Penny said it smelled musty. I said it smelled like old wood and continued to snort, adding that I would wear it as a cologne if it were on the market. She wrinkled her nose at that.

[lol]

Women are peculiar, huh?

P.

Archived