Gibson Brands Forums

Vintage Gibson catalogue

blindboygrunt

In the late 50s and early 60s I used to send for guitar catalogues from Selmar. I spent many hours drooling over them - Mark Knopfler says he loved the smell of them and would have eaten one if he could. I must say, as a young lad, I would have done the same.

Nice step back to a fascinating point in space'n'time - are we in '66. .

That Everly-bridge is one piece of timber - and notice they got the Bird-scale wrong ;-)

Definitely before the torrefried tops.

Nice - thanks for posting that! Interesting that they show the J-50 (just like mine) but not the J-45. :)

The burst slope is covered by the 160 - but by that logic the should have showed a Country Western instead of the Southerner Jumbo.

Pretty funny. Sometime back in the late '70s, I made some black & white copies from this catalog, which I still have!

Didn't really collect catalogs, but generally kept what I happened to pick up or find, and like others, would drool over the pages - and at that time, especially the Guild catalogs (still have a few of those, too!).

Catalogs, of course, will often feature the same pictures and description for several years so do not always immediately pick up on any change in specs.

I keep a bunch of copies of catalogs from the 1930s on I have accumulated over the years on hand. If you deal with guitars like Regal and Kay Kraft they are about all you are going to have when trying to sort out even model numbers never mind years built. I would never have been able to figure out my Regal 12 string with out one. There it was, smack dab in the middle of the 1939-1940 catalog right down to the wrap around bridge.

Archived