Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON BB King Lucille

Abutcher

I am offering for sale a Gibson Custom Shop acoustic and a very genuine sounding guy has offered me a 20 year old Gibson BB King Lucille as part exchange for it. I love BB King's sound but the guitar is very heavy and I have not got on well with heavy guitars before. It has a few marks and the gold hardware has aged quite a bit and there is some fret wear. I've turned him down and he has fallen in love with it again! I just wonder if I have made a huge mistake and missed out on a really good and versatile guitar...what does anyone think? If I sell my acoustic I should be able to choose a nice hollowbody electric to replace it but nagging away at me is the thought this could be a great guitar. If I bought an Epiphone BB King Lucille I would have quite a bit of money to spare and no fret wear......

The weight issue remains of course.

The weight issue remains of course.

I have found the ES semi-hollows to be hit & miss on weight over the years. I had a 335 that was very light, I now have a 345 that would classify in the heavy category. All else being equal, the weight factor comes down to the specific batch of maple used for the center blocks. Assuming the Lucille has the Varitone system, the "choke" apparatus associated with that system in itself weighs a (not so) nice chunk.

As for weight being a factor in comfort and playability, I believe that within reasonable parameters, you will adapt very quickly. A nice ES-3XX series guitar is a wonderful thing to have at your disposal. I had one or another for 35 years, and they quickly became my "go-to" guitar in the "electric" category.

I always tend to the view that things happen because they are supposed to. Just a superstition of course but many times in life I have thought "I wished I had done that" but realise it was probably better that I didn't.

I have never owned a Lucille - never fancied one as I prefer the f-hole 355 rather than a 355 without f-holes which is really what a Lucille is. But I do have a 345 which is very similar especially in terms of weight although it is lightweight in comparison to my very heavy Les Paul 25 / 50.

If weight is an issue for you then the Epiphone would be more or less as heavy. But I will say that as good as Epiphones are they can't realistically be compared to Gibson. Different league.

Weigh in (Pun intended) on what your actual needs are! If "resale" value is of prime importance, get the Gibson(s).

If you're a "weekend warrior" type player, and have a limited budget, the Epi's are a Great alternative! If you have money

to burn, then get "the best," whatever you deem that to be! Plus, I've found, personally, it's cheaper in the long run, to

buy quality, and grow into it, rather than a different cheaper guitar, over and over! But, again, it boils down to your real

"needs," and/or "lust factor!"

As to "shoulda, woulda, coulda," regarding "Lucille"...it's too late to worry about that! Eyes forward, damn the torpedoes,

and full speed ahead! [biggrin] Seriously, play as many models, and versions of those same models, as you can. One will

(eventually) "shine," the most, for you!

Good Hunting...that's 1/2 the fun, anyway! [biggrin]

CB

The Lucille is a heavy guitar. BB King didn't sit down all the time just because he was old and out of shape!

That's my all time favorite Gibson model so I would say do what you have to and get the real thing which means an ebony fret board, too.

You'll be happy you did.

I almost purchased a used Lucille several years back. They are great guitars. Yesterday, I saw a used black sparkle Lucille with BB's signature on the pickguard for sale for 7K at Guitar Riot in Cleveland. Seems like a lot of money for a part of music history, but it will probably go up in value. It is really a beautiful guitar. If I was younger and not retired, I would consider buying it.

Kenny V

Thanks for your replies. I have played the guitar for years and done a few gigs but mainly play for pleasure now but I find playing very therapeutic.....providing what I'm playing feels right! So it's important otherwise it keeps me awake nights......It's taken me years to find out what I like and don't like in guitars......I like:-

Medium frets..don't like tall or jumbo frets

12 inch radius

Shorter scale

Tune-0-matic bridges - don't like trems

11 gauge strings

Guitars that are not too heavy

Humbuckers but with coil tap or split options

Guitars that feel balanced that you can play comfortably sitting down

Where is this taking me?

1440404121[/url]' post='1687845']

Thanks for your replies. I have played the guitar for years and done a few gigs but mainly play for pleasure now but I find playing very therapeutic.....providing what I'm playing feels right! So it's important otherwise it keeps me awake nights......It's taken me years to find out what I like and don't like in guitars......I like:-

Medium frets..don't like tall or jumbo frets

12 inch radius

Shorter scale

Tune-0-matic bridges - don't like trems

11 gauge strings

Guitars that are not too heavy

Humbuckers but with coil tap or split options

Guitars that feel balanced that you can play comfortably sitting down

Where is this taking me?

Hi Abutcher,I couldn't resist replying to your post where you listed your preferences and then the question of "where is this taking me?" I have been a huge ES 135/137 fan for years now and think it meets all your needs. Not sure what a Lucille weighs but I have this rare Ebony ES 137 for sale if you are interested. You can find it on eBay and Reverb.com if you want to see more about it. Either way, these are awesome sleeper ES models that feel great and look best in black (IMHO). Good luck in your search!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally put down the Martin to get reacquainted with the Lucille and it really is the cream of the crop for electrics.

It's been a while since I've played it so the unplugged volume output was a surprise. A wonderful instrument which is why I've had nothing but Gibson electrics for over 40 years. When they do it right the results are fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Archived