Gibson Brands Forums

Thank you, Gibson

PB26

The planets are back in alignment, order has been restored. Couple days ago I found out the 2016 models go back to the tried and true formula. No robots, no brass nut, none of it. Picked up my SG Standard tonight....

post-67283-097916000 1443748379_thumb.jpg

Yes, but I'm still not impressed with the 2016 SG Standard compared to 2013 specs. They ditched the nicer 57 Classic pickups for the 400 series (I guess pickups are personal choice, and the bevel cuts are back to being shallower, and the guitar comes with a gig back now instead of a hardshell case. At first glance you'd think it's a deal since the price was dropped, but when you look at the details and specs, I'm not impressed.

Shallower bevel cuts make the SG appear beefier and more brutish. I have both and the deeply beveled/thinner horns are nice but the thicker horns with shallower bevels are more....ummmph!

The return of the longer and sturdier neck joint is a welcome feature over the 13' too. Good show!

Shallower bevel cuts make the SG appear beefier and more brutish. I have both and the deeply beveled/thinner horns are nice but the thicker horns with shallower bevels are more....ummmph!

The return of the longer and sturdier neck joint is a welcome feature over the 13' too. Good show!

Ha, well I guess you'll need it to be 'sturdier' since it comes with a gig bag instead of the hardshell case it used to come with.

Ha, well I guess you'll need it to be 'sturdier' since it comes with a gig bag instead of the hardshell case it used to come with.

I don't need any more SG's and the lack of a case is typical Gibson bafoonery...but the late 60's neck joint has proven itself to have less flex over the the original small tenon design thru the decades.

I don't need any more SG's and the lack of a case is typical Gibson bafoonery...but the late 60's neck joint has proven itself to have less flex over the the original small tenon design thru the decades.

That's true. My 2013 can be a little annoying with the neck flexing, especially if I switch to it after playing my Telecasters which are super stable.

Archived