Gibson Brands Forums

SS Amps

dc3c46

It doesn't seem like the OP is trying to make a "case" for a solid state vs. tube amp selection. And I don't think any of us would (reasonably) say that this or that solid state amp = tube amp tone. Tube amps add a complexity and (good) character to tone that would be hard if not impossible to emulate with anything digital or solid state. Not across a broad spectrum of playing anyway.

The OP seems to be saying that for the jam sessions he's participating in, he doesn't want to be bothered dismanteling and lugging his home rig, so what are his options for a decent sounding solid state transportable amp? And I agree with one of the above posters- having a Mesa Lonestar and a Vox AC the OP's got a pretty good idea on what tube amp tone is vice solid state.

I got my Mustang III vr for one reason- church Worship "gigs". It has a line out and our sound guys, volunteers and not being versed in miking amps and dealing with things related to that, insist on going directly into the board or using an amp that has a line out. The Mustang sounds pretty darn good and a side benefit is I use it as a monitor so's I don't have to put up with hearing myself in whatever monitor mix they give us on stage.

HOWEVER all this discussion has made me spend more time with my tube amp- and appreciating it's tone all the more!

Brian

In my humble opinion, some SS amps aren't bad those days. I know there not "fashionable", but like most things in life, there are good ones and bad ones.

I only have two amps (I only need two), a little Yamaha THR10 and a Fender Blues Junior. The Yamaha is my "go-to" amp, I even use it for "small" band practice, the Fender rarely gets used. The only draw back with the Yamaha is the tiny speakers, two 3 inch, but even they aren't bad, but they could be bigger. I find even the Blues Junior to much hassle to take anywhere unless I really need to.

Ian

Archived