Gibson Brands Forums

Capo For Extra-Thick Necks

duluthdan

Been on the lookout for a capo that fits the 2006 J-45 Legend. Would prefer one that lives on the guitar, ala Paige. Saw a thread on a guitar forum regarding the Shubb Deluxe. Ordered from Elderlies in Chicago. $22. . Now this fit pretty nicley up to the eighth fret - any higer than that and I might as well get a Ukelele. [biggrin] I will say though , I had to pretty much open this to its max width to get it to clamp on at all, so not much adjustment left. Ok, no adjustment left.

Here is a picture of the Dunlop Victor, which also fits, and the Shubb. Anybody have an Elliott or something that fits these monster necks. Zombie ??? [confused]

image.jpg1_zpsceygnth9.jpg

You will need measurements for an custom Elliot, so do that anyway Dan and let us all know. I played a J45 Legend once only in a shop and the neck was a surprise even though I play Nationals and their fat necks.

Chet says there is no money up that dusty end, but while I prefer the Shubbs, which I could squeeze on to the 2nd fret only on my Tricone, the surprise of my life was that the new G7 Performance 2 design is wide enough to use way up the Nat neck. But I dont like the G72 much as it retains a string if bent whereas a Shubb lets it return.

I would email Elliot, ask what measurements they need, nut as well!!! and consider getting the brass option like mine while going to the trouble.

BluesKing777.

1444517086[/url]' post='1701569']

You will need measurements for an custom Elliot, so do that anyway Dan and let us all know. I played a J45 Legend once only in a shop and the neck was a surprise even though I play Nationals and their fat necks.

Chet says there is no money up that dusty end, but while I prefer the Shubbs, which I could squeeze on to the 2nd fret only on my Tricone, the surprise of my life was that the new G7 Performance 2 design is wide enough to use way up the Nat neck. But I dont like the G72 much as it retains a string if bent whereas a Shubb lets it return.

I would email Elliot, ask what measurements they need, nut as well!!! and consider getting the brass option like mine while going to the trouble.

BluesKing777.

I play a new J45 and regularly capo at the seventh Fret . I find the Kysler capo made for a 12 string works a treat .

• 9 months later...

An alternative for those of you who are looking for a low cost capo capable of fitting a thick neck: a D'Addario adjustable at about $20. Works well on my 12 string. Open most of the way to attach and then turn the screw to fit (all the way down on my 12 string). Screw is easy to turn even in the tight range. It can live on the headstock also. Having said that, I think I'll try the custom Elliot and the Shubb 'cause I love me some capos .... like guitars and good memories, you can never have enough.

Archived