Gibson Brands Forums

Ltd. Ed. Elitist "1964" Texan

Aster1

Just checking in and saw the Ltd. Ed. Elitist "1964" Texan on Epi's website. Anyone played one or know about availability & price?

I might have room enough for JUST one more acoustic in my rack and this may be the ticket.

Maybe the info is really old on the website, but it didn't look like it. I don't see any of the retailers listing them however.

Aster

Just checking in and saw the Ltd. Ed. Elitist "1964" Texan on Epi's website. Maybe the info is really old on the website, but it didn't look like it. I don't see any of the retailers listing them however.

I imagine you are referring to the recent issue Elitist Texan, which to my knowledge is only available in Japan.

There was an Elitist Texan issued in the early 2000s (made by Terada-Japan), as well as the 1964 McCartney Texan issued in the mid to late 2000s (two Bozeman versions & one Terada version made for McCartney's Adopt-A-Minefield fundraiser).

I happen to have a 2005 Terada-made McCartney Texan, and absolutely love it. This one has a rather narrow & fast neck, which I enjoy, but it most likely would not be everyone's cup of tea.

I had a sunburst Elitist Texan which I sold when the Macca arrived. Both MIJ & both excellent.The Macca was slightly better & more authentic.(The Elitist had Grovers).Both rare these days.

I also now have a MIC IB64 Texan which is Electric, but acoustically not in the same street.

Thanks for the info. Yes bobouz, I'm looking at the one on the Epiphone website that makes no mention of when released, where, or at what price. That "available only in Japan" part explains the ones on ebay from Japan. It's a mind bender why Gibson/Epiphone would do a reissue Elitist and release it to ONLY JAPAN for a market place IMHO. I would think US/CANADA market would be more sales but what do I know.

I too have an IB64 Texan and like it, but like you said, leaves me wanting a great made version with nitro.

Guess this website tempt is a no-go then.

Thanks!!!

Aster

I too have an IB64 Texan and like it, but like you said, leaves me wanting a great made version with nitro.

Just another FYI, the first Terada Elitist version had a poly finish rather than nitro.

Terada's McCartney version does have a nitro finish, and is a very accurate reproduction. When I pick mine up, it's truly like playing a mid '60s Gibson, and the workmanship is impeccable.

From what I've read about this new Elitist Texan model, the specs are closer to the McCartney version, and it does have a nitro finish. I agree that releasing it only in Japan is rather odd, but the mind of Gibson works in mysterious ways!

The IB64 Texan is a great guitar. Is it worth it to pay $1200-$1500 more than the street price of an IB64 to get the solid sides and thinner nut Elitist?

Well, unfortunately Cliff, your edited post is problematic for a whole different reason.

The significant factors that separate one guitar from the next can't simply be broken down to a couple of items pulled from spec sheets. Even within the two you've selected, a narrow neck profile may be one player's hell or the next person's heaven.

If someone finds an instrument satisfying and musically stimulating, the price, if affordable for one's pocket, will be right. If that happens to be an IB-Texan, that's great. But others may find the IB-Texan to be uninspiring or lacking in some other way. Thankfully, we have many fine guitars to choose from in this day & age.

Here's my personal experience:

I've played many IB-Texans. I'm sure there are some darn good ones out there, but I have yet to play one that is remotely in the neighborhood of the tone and playability of the McCartney-Terada Texan I am fortunate to own. Why? Because this particular instrument is a dead ringer for a '60s Kalamazoo Texan in virtually every way (based on the guitars I've experienced over the years). That particular tone and feel is something I crave, and this instrument just happens to deliver it.

So for me, the cost differential (within my budget constraints) becomes a non-issue if the instrument is what my ears want to hear and my hands want to hold. I say this knowing all the while that the next guy's key criteria might be the polar opposite of mine, which is perfectly normal & okay!

What Bobouz said....

And yeah, I have mentioned before the mods I've had done to my IB'64 Texan, but whenever I've mentioned them, it has been on point in the thread or someone has asked. When I see a thread titled "Ltd. Ed. Elitist '1964' Texan," I don't see it as an invitation to mention, yet again, that I own another brand of guitar that I think is better than whatever edition Texan is being discussed.

What Bobouz said....

And yeah, I have mentioned before the mods I've had done to my IB'64 Texan, but whenever I've mentioned them, it has been on point in the thread or someone has asked. When I see a thread titled "Ltd. Ed. Elitist '1964' Texan," I don't see it as an invitation to mention, yet again, that I own another brand of guitar that I think is better than whatever edition Texan is being discussed.

My current guitar wasn't the point...it was a side. My opinion that the IB64 Texan is a great guitar was the point. I brought up my current guitar and referenced it to all guitars that I've experienced playing, not just the IB64. Even my point there was that I would still have the IB64 if not for. This was used to strengthen my point that the IB64 is a great guitar. It was not to distract and it was not the central theme of my post.

Well, unfortunately Cliff, your edited post is problematic for a whole different reason.

The significant factors that separate one guitar from the next can't simply be broken down to a couple of items pulled from spec sheets. Even within the two you've selected, a narrow neck profile may be one player's hell or the next person's heaven.

If someone finds an instrument satisfying and musically stimulating, the price, if affordable for one's pocket, will be right. If that happens to be an IB-Texan, that's great. But others may find the IB-Texan to be uninspiring or lacking in some other way. Thankfully, we have many fine guitars to choose from in this day & age.

Here's my personal experience:

I've played many IB-Texans. I'm sure there are some darn good ones out there, but I have yet to play one that is remotely in the neighborhood of the tone and playability of the McCartney-Terada Texan I am fortunate to own. Why? Because this particular instrument is a dead ringer for a '60s Kalamazoo Texan in virtually every way (based on the guitars I've experienced over the years). That particular tone and feel is something I crave, and this instrument just happens to deliver it.

So for me, the cost differential (within my budget constraints) becomes a non-issue if the instrument is what my ears want to hear and my hands want to hold. I say this knowing all the while that the next guy's key criteria might be the polar opposite of mine, which is perfectly normal & okay!

Understood

My current guitar wasn't the point...it was a side. My opinion that the IB64 Texan is a great guitar was the point. I brought up my current guitar and referenced it to all guitars that I've experienced playing, not just the IB64. Even my point there was that I would still have the IB64 if not for. This was used to further strengthen my point that the IB64 is a great guitar. It was not to distract and it was not the central theme of my post.

Cliff,

I would agree my IBTexan is a GREAT value. After a good pro setup (at the Gibson/Epi warranty station we have in my town) it plays quite easy too. That said, it just doesn't have the base/treble that I would lay $$$ on the Elitist has. Yes, to me anyway, it would be worth $1,800-$2,000 for a super fit/finish/sounding/playing guitar. I play my MIC Dove all the time but it don't sound ANYTHING like my Gibson nor should it. (not expecting that in the least)

But, I do believe you have a good opinion. I'm just collecting/playing some of the things I wasn't able to get years ago. Either due to time, money, or interest.

Thanks for writing in!!

Aster

Ever tried the Gibson Jackson Browne Model A, or a Guild Orpheum, or a Collings DS2HA?

No, I've only tried Gibsons, Martins & Taylors that you routinely find at guitar stores. None of the guitar stores I frequent carry those.

Orpheum - $3800 street

Collins - $3850 street

Gibson Jackson Browne - $4500 street

RK RAJ-122 - $600 street

I'm never going to have thousands and thousands of dollars to spend on an acoustic guitar. All I know is that this RK put a stop to me wanting to buy another acoustic.

I like recording kings, and have tried many including your RAJ-122...

I'm not flaming or doubting what sounds good to your ears, but that walnut Jackson Brown model A is in a whole different tone league.

I was incorrect on the Jackson Browne and edited my post at the same time you were posting this. Also, at $4500 I would hope so.

Gee, we haven't heard that story before.

It doesn't seem like that long ago that ole Cliffy would take exception to the kind of remark he made there. I guess in the end it's ok to like a recording king just not a Gibson. Well at least until said member buys one that isn't a restoration project.

It doesn't seem like that long ago that ole Cliffy would take exception to the kind of remark he made there. I guess in the end it's ok to like a recording king just not a Gibson. Well at least until said member buys one that isn't a restoration project.

I have never, nor would I ever, take exception to someone saying a guitar is great and they would still own it "if not for." It's okay with me to like any and every guitar. I didn't buy the J-50 I own...it's a family heirloom.

No, I've only tried Gibsons, Martins & Taylors that you routinely find at guitar stores.

Well, I listed models similar to yours only... (slope shoulder, 12 fret dreads) so both of your posts are over the top.

You're saying the RK RAJ-122 "stomps all over every guitar you've played"? Really?

I certainly concede that RK makes great guitars at their price point... I have an RP-06 that is a fantastic couch guitar, but to say they stomp all over the big 3's standard series is silly.

Well, I listed models similar to yours only... (slope shoulder, 12 fret dreads) so both of your posts are over the top.

You're saying the RK RAJ-122 "stomps all over every guitar you've played"? Really?

I certainly concede that RK makes great guitars at their price point... I have an RP-06 that is a fantastic couch guitar, but to say they stomp all over the big 3's standard series is silly.

The RAJ-122 12 fret slope shoulder is simply glorious. As I stated before...so much so that it has, thus far, put an end to my desire for other acoustic guitars.

Keep in mind that I made some aesthetic changes to it (pickguard changed to accurate Gibson Advanced Jumbo repro and fretboard stained darker). I also got a really good set up done to it. When I play those big name acoustics in stores, they are not properly set up so, in that sense, I'm really not comparing them fairly.

I've never seen a Gibson Jackson Browne in store, nor have I seen those Guild or Collings models you listed.

If I was playing my RAJ-122 against similarly well set up big name models, my opinion may be different. What I know is that I am very happy with my guitar.

I also still am of the opinion that the IB64 Texan is a great guitar. Part of me regrets selling mine, as it does have its own special tone. I put the sale money to good use, though, and someone else benefited from a finely setup Texan.

Archived