Gibson Brands Forums

EPI 345's &355's?

zulujos

I posed this question on another site without the desired response. I've known about these guitars for awhile but it was only recently that I realized I always wanted a 335 style guitar. The Limited Edition 345 and 355 share some qualities I really desire, Bigsby, block oe diamond fret markers, and the clincher is the white finish. A lot of folks don't seem so enamored with the varitone but hey, just don't use it if you don't want the variety. So the question is, and perhaps it isn't really a question, obviously there was a limited run but even limited run guitars show up on Ebay and such. Where are these guitars hiding?

I posed this question on another site without the desired response. I've known about these guitars for awhile but it was only recently that I realized I always wanted a 335 style guitar. The Limited Edition 345 and 355 share some qualities I really desire, Bigsby, block oe diamond fret markers, and the clincher is the white finish. A lot of folks don't seem so enamored with the varitone but hey, just don't use it if you don't want the variety. So the question is, and perhaps it isn't really a question, obviously there was a limited run but even limited run guitars show up on Ebay and such. Where are these guitars hiding?

I sold my Epiphone ES345 (radically upgraded) when I managed to get hold of my reissue Gibson 1959 ES345. You are right that they don't come up for sale often but they do appear now and then. You just need to keep looking and one will just pop up out of the blue.

I have the Pelham Blue limited edition 355 from a few years back. I am not surprised they're hard to come by, this is one amazing guitar.

The monster is a tone machine. People who know nothing about guitars and tone will compliment its sound, and it's absolutely stunning to look at as well. I have a few Epis, and this is surely one of the best.

LoQ3DbJ.jpg

uw7C0dh.jpg

That was a strange "marketing" idea. The ES-355 was gone, almost before it arrived in stores!

The ES-345 was around, quite a bit longer, but compared to other Epi models it was fairly short

lived, as well. Some of the early versions (of both models) had some finish issues, especially.

But, they seemed to get that sorted out, pretty quickly. I just don't understand, why they

didn't give the 355 a better chance/longer buying period? But, who knows??! [tongue][rolleyes]

So, yeah...those that have good examples probably don't want to sell them!

CB

That was a strange "marketing" idea. The ES-355 was gone, almost before it arrived in stores!

The ES-345 was around, quite a bit longer, but compared to other Epi models it was fairly short

lived, as well. Some of the early versions (of both models) had some finish issues, especially.

But, they seemed to get that sorted out, pretty quickly. I just don't understand, why they

didn't give the 355 a better chance/longer buying period? But, who knows??! [tongue][rolleyes]

So, yeah...those that have good examples probably don't want to sell them!

CB

Epiphone models seem to defy the concept of evolution. Instead of a large variety of unique models to fill various niches, there are innumerable Les Paul models competing with one another.

Well, Gibson has the same problem! So does "Fender, with their multi Strat models" :rolleyes:

CB

It must be working. And to think when I bought my first electric, the "Les Paul" Gibson model was an SG. They had discontinued the original SG model. I guess it has made a comeback.

*edit*

Oops, I meant to say discontinued the original Les Paul line. I remember being confused when seeing so-called "Les Paul" models with the singlecut maple body. And being confused seeing Les Paul and Mary Ford, but Les Paul wasn't playing an SG.

The SG is the one model line, that has been in continuous production, since it was first introduced, in 1961.

At that time, they were designated "Les Paul" models...Jr, Special, Standard, and Custom. After Les expressed

his disapproval of the use of his name, on that new model/shape, Gibson changed the name, to SG. But, it's never

been out of production. [biggrin]

CB

I don't think Epi 345's and 355's would bee all that popular if we were used to them. They were special because they were "new", or somehow different.

Really, there is no need for Epi to make the Gibson versions, when they have the Sheraton and the Riviera. It's kind of redundant.

Besides which, the Epi models are more leaned toward the ornate compared to the Gibby versions.

I don't think Epi 345's and 355's would bee all that popular if we were used to them. They were special because they were "new", or somehow different.

Really, there is no need for Epi to make the Gibson versions, when they have the Sheraton and the Riviera. It's kind of redundant.

Besides which, the Epi models are more leaned toward the ornate compared to the Gibby versions.

Yeah, that's true enough. Unless someone actually wants a more reasonably priced version, with the Varitone, like

the Epi 345 has. Riviera, and Sheraton's don't offer that....yet, anyway. [biggrin]

CB

Yeah, that's true enough. Unless someone actually wants a more reasonably priced version, with the Varitone, like

the Epi 345 has. Riviera, and Sheraton's don't off that....yet, anyway. [biggrin]

CB

Yes, I agree with Stein in some ways. When I think Epiphone as a guitar I think Sheraton or Riveria.

I would like to see a Sheraton with a varitone. Now that would be something which could get me to get the wallet out.

Yes, I agree with Stein in some ways. When I think Epiphone as a guitar I think Sheraton or Riveria.

I would like to see a Sheraton with a varitone. Now that would be something which could get me to get the wallet out.

It would be nice, if Epiphone offered it, as an "option," at least. Those that don't like the varitone, wouldn't be

stuck with one, that way. [biggrin]

CB

• 1 month later...

I tried out a 355 in guitar center and wasn't that impressed with chunky neck or the overall quality, in fact the one I played fell apart in my hands! It felt too light for its size and the input jack fell off. Then there was the problem that the first batch had ebony fingerboard but then they downgraded it to rosewood which added some unwanted hassle. Another thing that put me off is you have to drill your own holes to put the pick guard on, I just couldn't believe that.It was really frustrating because I had been wanting that style for a while. So I gave it a miss but then luckily the 1962 50th Anniversary Sheraton came along and I got one of those instead and it is an absolutely stunning guitar for the price, I doubt many of those will become available though as so few were made. I got the cherry with fan tail and I wish I had also got the sunburst. The only issue I had was the gold was peeling off the pole pieces on the pickup, however Gibson sent me a free pickup to take the pieces out and screw into mine and that was fine.

Lately I've been tempted to try out the new 335 Pro because I like the crown head and block inlays, and the pickups sound interesting, however I wasn't impressed with the original 335 Dot so for that reason I haven't really got round to trying one. If they did one in wine red I would definitely buy it.

The Sheraton Pro II also looked interesting, particularly because it is in wine red but also because of the pro pickups, however from the pictures it looks cherry which I already have and compared to the 1962 it doesn't look as nice because it has the normal head stock and full size pickups instead of minis which I think look nicer on Sheratons.

Next I suppose I'm waiting on a re-release of the 1980s Matsumoku Riviera in wine red with crown head and parallelogram inlays with silver hardware, full size pickups, stop tail piece, I'd buy that in a second! The problem is if its made in Japan it'll be too expensive like the elitists that are made there are currently.

Another one is the Riviera II, made in China, supposed to be Japan marked only, however it appears the factory has leaked some on to taobao.com for very cheap. It's basically the Supernova without the blue colour option. It looks a bit low quality and I'd prefer to play one before ordering. Might just have to go Asia to try some out!

Archived