Gibson Brands Forums

Hand ligaments

drugstore

Recently started back into playing a lot. And has never happened to me, but my hands started to hurt; got worse and turned into an issue. Doc says it is inflamed ligaments. Hurts like a mother to play; so I don't. Has anyone ever had to deal with this issue, and if so - what happened?

I'm right handed, and my left thumb-base is worst off.

I had a temporary case of "trigger-finger" in my right thumb that curtailed my playing for a couple months. It was from repetitive motion, or so I was told. I moved the mouse on my computer desk from one side to the other for awhile and it cleared up. It sucked, too. Every time I'd bend my right thumb it would pop or click, sometimes painfully. Glad it went away and hope your problem clears up in due time.

My left hand gets really stiff, index finger the most. I would not call it pain in my case.

I had neck surgery 3 years ago, new disc and a metal plate later I am just fine. Before that it was the two middle fingers that actually hurt, some things have shifted around and some nerves are better and others worse but I can play just fine although don't play long. My hand does tense up but if I relaxed a bit more I would play much better.

Who knows it all may be coming from your neck, tension perhaps? I know that is where mine comes from.

And what Murph said...

Advil or any Ibuprofin...They are usually 250mg pills or caplets, Take 4 every 12 hours. They work pretty well. I have almost constant pain from a chronic disease and I have a choice, the doctor will give me perscription or I can take the advil, the advil are cheaper, have fewer side effects and are non-addictive. If it is strained ligaments, then only rest will fix it.

Thanks a bunch for all replies guys.It is especially that first post that clicked with me, because that is exactly what my thumb does too: it clicks and pops, and hurts. I work now too, and the job involves a lot of hand work. I wish I could afford to rest for months. Who can? Just reading that some went through it and came out at the other end. I saw some photos of a guy here in the forum who posted pics of his arm, post surgery. Man, I feel for you. I hope it is healing well.

I can't keep taking pills. The doc put me on these hardcore anti inflamatories, which work really well. But the minute I stop taking them it comes back with a vengeance. Thing is - these anti inflamatories rip up your stomach lining. You can not keep taking them.

Archived