Gibson Brands Forums

NLSD

surfpup

That's right.. New Lap Steel Day! [biggrin]

Mentioned that I often cruise my mother-in-law's town for gear when we visit. Most of my decent gear scores have come from here. So today I came across an old Supro lap steel in a downtown pawn shop. They wanted $250 for this one - which is about what they bring at guitar shows and online auctions. Managed to talk them down to $125 out the door.

Looks to be a Super 60 (the ones that came with the first amplified cases). Based on the stamped in wood serial number it was made in Chicago during the late 1930's or very early 40's. There was no production during WWII and when they restarted production in 1947 they began using a metal plate with serial numbers.

Plays fine - electronics work. I've owned these before and the pickups really scream. Looking forward to putting some lap steel strings on it and letting it rip.

IMG_5760.jpg

That is so damn cool!!

My Mom used to teach steel guitar. I think before I was born.

She still has her old steel around somewhere though. I should go look for that thing.

I would have no clue what to do with it though.

Watched a Dave Mathews concert with a steel player.

No idea who he is but I just googled it.

His name is Robert Randolph,,, crazy good.

Nice score Surf.

That is so damn cool!!

My Mom used to teach steel guitar. I think before I was born.

She still has her old steel around somewhere though. I should go look for that thing.

I would have no clue what to do with it though.

Watched a Dave Mathews concert with a steel player.

No idea who he is but I just googled it.

His name is Robert Randolph,,, crazy good.

Nice score Surf.

Thanks, man. You should definitely look for your mom's lap steel. I can send you some tunings to try. You can get a lot of cool sounds... country, Hawaiian, and just plain rockin'.

Robert Randolph is brilliant. He definitely takes lap steel out there to the limits. A friend of mine who is a Nashville cat jammed with him once on-stage and he said it was an experience he will never replicate. Another guy who makes good use of the lap steel in a rockin' way is Ben Harper.

Another guy who makes good use of the lap steel in a rockin' way is Ben Harper.

Nice to see Ben Harper mentioned here. About 10 years ago I went to see him live in Manchester and thoroughly enjoyed it. Love his slide work on the track God Fearing Man. I believe the lap slide he uses most usually is a Weissenborn. Congrats on the new lap steel too, it looks fantastic. It's something I've been meaning to get for many years now too.

Archived