Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45

Mickthemiller

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Love the truss rod cover and that walnut back is gorgeous!

Now, how does it play? How does it sound?

I agree with Cliff, that pick guard on the RK fits the guitar perfectly.

Edit: I've just been back through the thread and realised that you never mentioned changing the pick guard, it was his idea in the first place [biggrin]

Both of those look KILLER! And there's no need to change our that RK pickguard at all. You even got one with a beautifully dark fretboard...holy cow you did well!!!!!!!!

And fantastic job on that Gibson truss rod cover. It looks so so so sooooo great!

Thanks Cliff - I'm really really pleased with both. By the way I made the pickguard - it came without one and when I asked where it was the seller emailed me to say it was ugly and had never had one put on it (which was true!) I made this one out of some pick guard material I had knocking about. The sellers Fellowship of Acoustic do have a nice one to suit - costs though!! I may buy one later - link here:- http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Nice isn't it? Bet you say "get it"

I have to say that there is not a great deal of difference in tone between the J15 - AJ45 and the RAJ27, not a lot at all. It would be hard to make a choice. The J15 does smell nice though - it does have a proper nitro finish.

As we say in Yorkshire - I'm proper chuffed!!

As we say in Yorkshire - I'm proper chuffed!!

So you should be Mick - that's a fine stable of guitars and when you play the J15 and look at the trussrod cover the memories will always be there. Beautiful guitars and great job with the pickguard - looks a lot like the one on my EJ160e.

Can we hear them now??? They deserve a youtube at least or a couple of mp3s uploaded somewhere.

As they say in Essex - I'm well jeal (although I'm in Belfast!)

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Love the truss rod cover and that walnut back is gorgeous!

Now, how does it play? How does it sound?

I agree with Cliff, that pick guard on the RK fits the guitar perfectly.

Edit: I've just been back through the thread and realised that you never mentioned changing the pick guard, it was his idea in the first place [biggrin]

Thanks, They both play very well indeed - I have lowered the action on the RK and put 11s on - I sought of like that looser feel - or am I getting weak in the left hand. Anyway it seems to play better now. So I intend lowering the action on the J15 and putting 11s on that - I'm using Martin (spit) Custom Light 11 - 52 - 80/20 bronze. As I have said to Cliff there is not a deal of difference in the tone of all three. I always said the AJ45 was a good guitar. The AJ45 is the least bright but it is mellow and chocolaty - the RK is brighter (just) and slightly louder (I think) the J15 is mellow but really needs a while to settle anyway - it should improve with age (I hope) I also hope to age with it!!!

Can we hear them now???

To give a fairly clear example of how each sounds I have recorded 3 chords on each (2 or 3 times C,D,G- maybe not in that order) I used a Tascam DR-05 at about 2 feet away from the guitars. There is nothing but the sound of each guitar. Can you tell which is which?

https://soundcloud.c...3/three-guitars

They are a: Gibson J15 b: Recording King RAJ-27 and c: Masterbilt AJ-45ME - not (or could be ) in that order. Same strings on them all - Martin Custom Lights 11-52 80/20 bronze

Same order again - trying to keep it simple so that you can hear the difference

Thanks for that Mick. I think the middle one might be the Gibson but they do sound very similar. Amazing sustain on all 3 guitars and a nice sweetness too. Are they all keepers?

Thanks Dodger, they are certainly all keepers. I'll let you know which is which later.

Jeez, I must not be very discriminating. They're all pretty darn close. I'm going to guess RK, Epi, Gibbie.

Well it was ...................... (long pause for effect) Masterbilt AJ-45 , Gibson J15 , Recording King RAJ-27

I have listened over and over again myself - I've moved the mouse to the same area of recording to get a closer sound - dodged from one to the other and........

I can (because I know what they are) tell the difference - The Masterbilt AJ-45 is a little quieter (you can see that on the recording visuals) The RK RAJ-27 is a little louder and ringing with more sustain and the Gibson J-15 is somewhere in the middle (maybe sweeter?) They do all have that Gibson growl they talk about so much. Then they do all have different B&S - AJ-45 Mahogany , J15 Walnut and RK Rosewood

I was really surprised how similar they all are though - I was pleased at how well the AJ-45 sounded in comparison, as I have pushed that damn thing from day one - it is a nice guitar both in sound and feel and if you want it to sound louder just plug it in.

Dodger - You win the prize for the best guess - or were you guessing??

Well done Dodger!

I stayed well away from this, as the potential for embarrassing myself was too great, especially as I now own one of the guitars. Now the prizes have been given out I feel safer.

I honestly didn't have a clue, any guess, and it would have been a guess, I might of made would have been based more on the graphics than what I can hear on my iPad. I might boot up the desktop today so I can listen through my stereo and, armed with the answers, nod sagely at the very subtle differences.

I am pleased how well the AJ-45ME stood up to the comparison and Cliff is right - a good guitar is a good guitar regardless of who made it, what materials were used and how much it cost.

There you go Dodger, just for you

DSCF4590_zpsq1z7mgco.jpg

[thumbup]

Wow - 3 beauties - have to say you did a great job on polishing the AJ45 - it looks amazing.

Now I could just sit and look at those all day - of course would love a strum too!

The 3 guitars look really similar in shape too and I suspect most of the tone comes from the top which is probably why the tonal difference isn't pronounced.

Off topic I know Mick but did you get rid of your Texan, AJ500 and the Harley Benton Solid Wood?

Dodger, Thanks. The AJ-45 looks like a vintage guitar - it has a really nice patina

I did sell the Texan and the AJ-500ME - The Texan was not getting much use so I sold it to an old guy (get me - old guy - I'm 69 and I think he was a year or two younger than me) who was just learning - he said he had an old Eko Ranger and could not believe how easy the Texan was to play. I had set it up with a very low action and it was in showroom condition.

The AJ-500me, I just could not get on with - it's about the same size as the Texan and same weight but it felt heavy and unwieldy and just difficult to play. So I sold that too. Hope the buyer doesn't read this thread [unsure]

The Harley Benton is still with me, in a case at the moment as I'm considering lowering the action and putting lighter strings on it. That has a different sound from these three slope shoulders. It's more a Martin copy. It has a lot of sustain and sounds really good played in a drop D - it rings out well.

And that's all I have now just the four acoustics - oh! and I have a Squier Jagmaster - that is a fantastic electric guitar. I've had it a few years and would never part with that. [thumbup]

Sorry, couldn't resist a peek at Dodgers' prize. [biggrin]

The polished AJ-45 looks amazing, actually they all look great but you know what I mean. You obviously weren't so keen on the satin finish either, must have taken some nerve to do that, looks fantastic now though. [thumbup] you're a braver man than me Gunga Din.

Sorry, couldn't resist a peek at Dodgers' prize. [biggrin]

The polished AJ-45 looks amazing, actually they all look great but you know what I mean. You obviously weren't so keen on the satin finish either, must have taken some nerve to do that, looks fantastic now though. [thumbup] you're a braver man than me Gunga Din.

Yes Irish it was very scary for a time as I did it - I must admit I thought I had ruined it at one point [scared] but I pressed on and it just seems to get better. I give it a rub with a cloth every now and then and often with the palm of my hand - I think it builds up a bit more sheen every time :rolleyes:

I still love it [love]

Archived