Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pins

Motherofpearl

I've tried every pin under the sky: everything from antique acoustics, wood, ebony, plastic, titanium, few different bone ones, buffalo, walrus, you name it. I recorded examples, took out spread sheets and even used frequency graph to see if pins made any difference. And i usually always go back to the original ones that came with the guitar. I've concluded that if I can't really hear the difference and need a frequency analyzer to tell me that, then it is not worth the upgrade. Unless you are doing it for purely cosmetic reasons. Shape of pins and the fitment (tight, loose, slotted vs non-slotted etc.) will make more difference than the material they're made out of, but not by much.

My pursuit for tone now is honed in "guitar voicing (brace shaving)" and room acoustics (playing in a corner vs middle of the room etc... And these two have HUGE impact on tone. By far the biggest I've experienced. And of course keeping humidity consistent is a must, otherwise all bets are off. If humidity goes up and down all the time, you can change anything you like on your guitar, but will never know what made the difference.

No affiliation, but just Google Bob Colosi. He is the man to go to for pins, saddles, nuts shims etc... I've been dealing with him for years. Amazing service and gorgeous products.

Thanks for that! I have a CFMarteen 000-16 that has actually been to Yellowstone and it now has some Buffalo horn pins in its' future!

rct

An hour ago I never heard of the guy, now I'm finishing up some email talk with him about saddle materials. Awesome!

rct

Ha ha, it is a never ending spiral. Bob's the man though. Been dealing with him for years. He is also member of acoustic guitar forums and he often make helpful comments.

Archived