Gibson Brands Forums

Burning Wickerman

Californiaman

just 10 minutes ago man...

You know, down here we have this tradition that resembles the wickerman (slightly)... on december the 31st at 23:59 everyone burns this guys made of wood and paper. Instead of placing a guy animals and food inside, we use fireworks... its a nice tradition that (surprisingly) has not been forgoten... there are some streets where people spend the last 3 months of the year just building these things... (they are called "años viejos" or "passing year" in english). Originally they looked like old men, and were made of the stuff that's left when you cut (or work) wood, wood, paper and paint. Now they are made of all kind of stuff and resemble politicians, actors, and movie characters... and on the beach thousands of people get toghether to burn them in huge piles of hundreds of them... (biggest Ive seen was like 15 m tall).

I hadnt made mine in more than 20 years... (but I would buy two every year and burn them just for fun... ) this year I made a wickerman and bought one of the cheap ones resembling an old man to place inside and make it burn... it was lots of fun (but I didnt take goog pics...=P~ ).

Some pics:

nebot_monigote.JPG

340834684_1ffd1d20d7.jpg?v=0

1.JPG

8632387.jpg

Unlike you there are a lots of Colla-ish (aymara) people out there on the picture.

Is that right? How do we name that ethinic group? Hope I'm not being stubborn...

We call them "cholos" (despective term... hehehe) and well, I gues their ethnicity is somewhere between native (called indians here) and caucasian (most of them 50% indian - 25% caucasian - 25% monkey... hehehehe just kidding).

Most people that live on the beach are native south american decendants... they dont live in the main city but in 3 small cities near it , but spend lots of time there as most work there... that city is really crowded from december the 15 to late april... then everyone gets back to work in their respective cities and that place is empty (aside from the natives).

so this is real stuff? I thought it was just a sad example for a stupid movie with Nick Cage. The movie was a sleeper for me' date=' but the actual concept is exciting[/quote']

Man, you should watch the original movie... that onoe was good! (well... at the time it was very disturbing... people are not as easily disturbed as they used to be back in the 70s).

So... are you spanish-related?

Hard to be acurate in that one... my mom is half spanish half german... my dad's family came from out of nowhere eons ago hehehe, I think I heard him and his brother talking once about their genealogy (spelling) and it seems their great grandfather left northern europe eons ago, married a girl in panama and then they came here, they had 15 children... I am not sure of that and everytime I see him I forget to ask him... (my old man retired to the beach 15 years ago, after my mother divorced him and I dont really like the beach so I dont see him very much, but one of this days I'll ask him).

Stranger/scarier things are happening on the streets these days...

Indeed... back then, leving it to people to asume they burn a man as sacrifice was scary... as was watching some dumb a$$ living dead walking at a speed of 1/2 a mile a day, with lame makeup and ketchup stains on their clothes =D>

Right now, between the stuff that really hapens and the stuff on tv/movies, there's not much that can take you by surprise...

I know what you mean. Here in Brazil we have plenty different face, as "miscigenation" (does that exist in english?) is a commom happening since the begginin. Many people from all over the world came here to avoid hunger or wars, so it's a little like NY city in general. Our biggest city São Paulo has it's own Chinatown, little italy and stuff, but with different names.

I'm related to Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, Italian, and native from Brazil - indian. A big mess.

just 10 minutes ago man...

You know' date=' down here we have this tradition that resembles the wickerman (slightly)... on december the 31st at 23:59 everyone burns this guys made of wood and paper. Instead of placing a guy animals and food inside, we use fireworks... its a nice tradition that (surprisingly) has not been forgoten... there are some streets where people spend the last 3 months of the year just building these things... (they are called "años viejos" or "passing year" in english). Originally they looked like old men, and were made of the stuff that's left when you cut (or work) wood, wood, paper and paint. Now they are made of all kind of stuff and resemble politicians, actors, and movie characters... and on the beach thousands of people get toghether to burn them in huge piles of hundreds of them... (biggest Ive seen was like 15 m tall).

I hadnt made mine in more than 20 years... (but I would buy two every year and burn them just for fun... ) this year I made a wickerman and bought one of the cheap ones resembling an old man to place inside and make it burn... it was lots of fun (but I didnt take goog pics...=D> ).

Some pics:

[img']http://elecuadordehoy.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/nebot_monigote.JPG[/img]

340834684_1ffd1d20d7.jpg?v=0

1.JPG

8632387.jpg

hey gracias por las fotos me has hecho acordar de salinas!!

lo mejor de anio nuevo!

Thunder, thank you for some insight into Ecuadorian culture and a bit of yourself. I think that's a great tradition. Up here in California we used to have the Burning Man festival, but it was moved into the Nevada desert because of concerns by California authorities.

It seems like it's a great opportunity to say good bye to the old year and welcome in the new. I'll bet it's a lot of fun. Crowded, but fun.

Maaaan' date=' did you see the sand castle in the beach-fireworked-picture???[/quote']

Oh yeah... that castle was tiny and by the time the pic was taken it surely was half of what it originally was (some a-holes would just step on them things). There is a sand castle - sand sculpture contest in the beach in the morning previous to new years eve.

Most of them are made by locals (who are damn good at it, after all they have the beach for themselves the whole year... so they get to practice a lot).

Where?

hehehe I have to admit I despise people that go there and damage what has taken others days to build... I know them being made of sand means they wont last long, but those guys spend as much as a week building those castles and stuff out of sand, and they spend their nights there so that no one will go and damage them till the day of the contest, most of them dont do it because of the money involved but also because they love to do that and they want to show others something they can do just great... and then thousands of people come and are extremaly careful, trying not to damage them... but then come some idiots and step on them ... I hate those bastards...

You are avoiding me.

I'm sensing a little hatred abou "the beach people". Almoust every time you talk about cholos I feel a little hatred behind your words.

I'm gonna cut myself if I see that there is still hatred in this world.

DON'T HURT ME!

Not at all... in fact most of them are great people, sadly politicians have used and abused them for a long time and some have turned to the dark side... but just some (less than 10%).

EDIT: i dont want to hijack the thread so oIm PMing you man!

Man that's interesting that there are similar traditions throughout the world. Anyone heard of Zozobra? This burning tradition dates back to 1924 in Santa Fe, NM, USA. It's a 50 foot marionette which they burn to start the Fiesta de Santa Fe, which dates back to 1712. When we burn Zozobra (Old Man Gloom) we burn our cares away for the coming year. It's become very commercial these days (80,000 - 100,000 people watch this guy burn). The Fiesta lasts for 3 more days after. Here's a link: http://www.zozobra.com/history.html

Ugly, isn't he? http://www.zozobra.com/photos/z_1993-Day.jpg

http://www.zozobra.com/photos/z_2003-Sara-Stathas.jpg

Archived