Gibson Brands Forums

Which SG?!

Valve Mantra

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Gibson having been a Fender player for many years, now I've got a hankering for those low mids.

I'm very much into slimmer necks which I understand can be a problem. I'd definitely like an SG and in particular I'm a big fan of the look of the worn brown aesthetics of the new 2016 Special.

I am accustomed to the necks on the later Highway One Strats; I know the nut width is the same but I expect the 50s neck of the SG to be substantially thicker?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, unfortunately I'm in an area with poor opportunity to try out various models. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Yeah, the '50s necks are thicker but probably will feel flatter to a "F" guy. Good or bad overall feel is subjective.

One thing too, is you've gotta figure that the flatternut, shorter scale and flatter fingerboard give a very different feel regardless.

String choice and playing style also make a difference.

I understand the problem of not being close to a store. Same here.

m

Hi all,

I'm new to the world of Gibson having been a Fender player for many years, now I've got a hankering for those low mids.

I'm very much into slimmer necks which I understand can be a problem. I'd definitely like an SG and in particular I'm a big fan of the look of the worn brown aesthetics of the new 2016 Special.

I am accustomed to the necks on the later Highway One Strats; I know the nut width is the same but I expect the 50s neck of the SG to be substantially thicker?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, unfortunately I'm in an area with poor opportunity to try out various models. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Look for one with a 60's slim taper I am a Fender guy too. When I bought my 2013 LP Trad Pro II I opted for the 60's slim taper neck, it is a good fit for me.

Which SG? Well, I'm totally prejudice toward the '61 reissue, or a 2013 SG Standard.

Both have slim taper necks, and those wonderful Classic original wider/deeper bevels,

and horn tapering, that has, and always will, define the original SG's! Those mentioned

have '57 classic pickups, as well. MY favorite Gibson pickups.

But, that's just Me. And, you'll need to try out as many versions, as you can, to find

"the one," for you!

Cheers, and good hunting!

CB

For me the 61ri neck was too skinny (and so too unstable). I am primarily a Fender player myself and of the 6 SGs I've owned (3 current) the most playable neck with the best pickup combo to me is found on the 60s Tribute SG. The neck is a real treat to play. A perfect combo of Gibson and Fender. The Covered Burstbucker and Burstbucker 2 pickups are great too (these and 57 Classics are my fave by Gibson). They have great clarity and don't sound muddy like some buckers can. The bridge has the perfect amount of bite without sounding to brittle. The Grover tuners are great too, way more stable than the Kluson style ones.

The only negatives with these guitars is the finishing of the fret ends. They need some final sanding/polishing as they are super sharp, especially up the fretboard. But at this price point that's no biggie. The rest of the fit and finish is spot on. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I have had The SG 61 reissue, SG Standard, SG Special Flip Flop finish, SGX and an SG Special Pewter. With Gibson necks I tend to prefer the Special versions however the neck on the 60s reissue is great (very similar to my LP Classic).

You can get them new for a great price and second hand even more so. I traded a Squier Jazzmaster for mine.

The 60s tribute also has the super beveled edges if that sort of thing is important to you.

With Gibson necks the combo of the neck profile with the fretboard/nut width makes a real difference. The 61 reissue had a flat/wide neck which I didn't find comfy at all (it also was too liable to bend under very slight pressure). The fatter profiled SG Special (which is slightly narrower at the nut) actually feels better in the hand. The 60s reissue is the perfect mixture of the 2.

Here's the bevelling compared to 2 other SGs:

SG%20Bevel_zpsw1sy41uw.jpg

SG%20Horns_zpsbjxq5sti.jpg

Archived