Gibson Brands Forums

Ah, so that's the difference between Elixer nanoweb and polyweb strings!

windhoek

I've been using Elixer strings on my Big Baby Taylor since I bought it new about 10 years ago and only just now discovered the difference between their nanoweb and polyweb strings: polyweb strings are coated more generously and produce smoother and warmer tones than the thinner coated nanoweb strings, which produce brighter tones by comparison. This explains why I've put Exlixer strings on my Taylor in the past and haven't heard the sweet sound I expected because, as I now know, I prefer the smooth and warm tones of the polyweb strings and when I've asked for Elixer coated strings in my local instrument shops, simply used whichever type I was handed, doh! ](*,)

I've got nanowebs on my guitar just now (I know that because I keep the packet of guitar strings currently in use so I don't forget what's on and fwiw, I write the date they were strung up on the packet so I know how long it's been since they were changed), but when I buy my next set, I'll be sure to ask for polywebs lol

http://www.elixirstrings.co.uk/support/polyweb-nanoweb.html

I use Elixir Polyweb 10-46 on all my electrics. I have tried Nano's and they are good too, but I simply do not ever break strings with the Poly's and they last as long as you care to wait to change them - years if that's your thing (but don't rub them down with a cloth and avoid pick scrapes). I understand they are D'Addario strings in any case, which I'd previously used, but perhaps sweat led to rust led to breaks without the Elixir coatings? Whatever, I'll stick with them even though there are very limited stockists here on line and they cost a bit more.

Archived