Gibson Brands Forums

Mackie Mixing board / recording Issue....i need Rich and Thunder and AXE

Homz

I am having a recording problem with my new Mackie 16CFX. I keep getting a high pitched synthetic digital sound. I assume from the effects on the board. I am not hearing it out of the speakers of the PA. I have tried recoding out of AUX out and Utility out. Both with the same result. I am using a Zoom H4 4 track for all my recordings. My next step, unless you all give me a better idea is to convert my 1/4" dual inputs into the Zoom to RCA plugs and go into the CD out spot on the board. Maybe that was what I should have done first.

What do you all think?

I am really green on the signal chain or on mixing in general, but I think the AUX out is a duplicate of the Main out. As for the Utility out I am not sure. Either way is the same result. Maybe the easiest way is to just go with the RCA cable idea.

That Mackie is a live performance mixer, not ideal nor optimised for recording, but should do the job adequately.

The Zoom is cool for messing about, but not ideal for getting a great sound down - but should do the job too.

I am wondering if you are getting digital artefacts from the combination of the Mackies' 32-bit EMAC and the Zoom H4's 24-bit recording systems interfering with each other.

Try it with the FX completely out of the loop.

I got the RCA adapters and recorded out of the CD out connections on the board. It didn't work. I then did as was suggested and isolated all effects. It also didn't work. I am beginning to think it can't be fixed on this board. Either that or I suck as a sound man. Could be both.

On another note. We kicked *** tonight. Our bass player quit due to work schedule changes. Honestly we didn't miss him at all. On the couple of songs when the bass was absolutely essential our other guitar player Matt played bass or my wife on keys laid down a bass line. We're really considering not replacing the bassist.

The double leads in "Hotel California" was perfect. I watch my wife to get an idea of how a song is going. She was stunned how it all sounded. Fu*k the bass who needs a full time bassist.

I finally downloaded the recordings from tonight's jam to my computer. Until now I hadn't been transferring them over because it sounded so bad on the play back through the PA. I'm glad I did the transfer. Now that I've heard them from a different source I get a better perspective. The problem seems to be only on the vocals. They are way to hot. This doesn't seem to be the case while playing live. I suspect at least part of the problem is with us guitarists and our amps being to loud. This makes it necessary to keep turning up the vocals and thus part of the problem with the mixing and recording.

Archived