Gibson Brands Forums

New Epi pick guard problem.

RandyM

I just received my new Epi Les Paul Custom Pro Blacktop and am very impressed. It is absolutely stunning and sounds awesome.

I am having trouble removing the film on the pick guard, it seems to have bonded with the plastic and I cannot remove it. I was going to remove it and soak it in some hot water, but the screw head is stripped. This is a brand new guitar that came in the factory sealed box. According to the Serial number it was manufactured in 2014. I purchased it from Musician's Friend on 2/1/14 and had to wait two weeks as it was out of stock. Any suggestions?

Is it the screw hole in the guitar stripped? If so simply take a match and dip the non sulfur end in some glue then put it in the hole and cut it off flush with side cutters and then you can put the screw back in.

No the phillips slot in the head of the screw is messed up.

Thank-you for your reply

I'll second the GooGone recommendation, but add to be careful not to get any on the guitars finish [cursing]

As for the screwhead being stripped, you can get a drill bit that will back it out, then just replace it with a new one of the same size.

I'll second the GooGone recommendation, but add to be careful not to get any on the guitars finish [cursing]

As for the screwhead being stripped, you can get a drill bit that will back it out, then just replace it with a new one of the same size.

Thank-you.

I did get the screw out, it was just in there loose spinning around. Is there a nut that is suppose to be on the back side?

Thank-you.

I did get the screw out, it was just in there loose spinning around. Is there a nut that is suppose to be on the back side?

Nope. See post #2 for the fix to this one. You can also use toothpicks instead of a matchstick. Isn't this fun? [flapper]

Thank-you.

3 screws on the pick guard/bracket. Top screw by the neck pick up, if loose use the tooth pick glue method. Bottom screw of the pick guard (goes through the guard to the mounting bracket)this is a machine screw and should have a nut on the back side, if this is missing, just hit a hardware store and get any nut. Screw number 3 holds to mounting bracket to the side of the body, if this is loose, back to the tooth pick and glue method.

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your issue (if so, just ignore this post), but it sounds as though you mean the plastic wrap that covers a new pick guard? If so, just take a piece of really sticky tape (not like regular Scotch tape, but something stickier like duct tape). Stick it to the plastic and it should help lift the plastic off very easy. I would not recommend any chemicals, though Goo Gone will not cause any adverse effects to the finish.

Thanks everyone. I did manage to get the plastic film off the pick guard, but in the process scratched is up pretty badly, it came off in very small pieces. The screw I was talking about is the one that goes into the bracket and there is no nut on it. I will try to find a nut for it.

that's aggravating, with a new guitar and all...

But Les Paul pickguards and the bracket and screws are easily replaced.

You might just take the darn thing off and leave it off, instead of replacing it.

You'd have a couple of holes in your guitar, but they are in unobtrusive places.

I did this with my Epi ES-339 last year. Mine had a big Epiphone E stuck on the

pickguard and that began peeling off right after I unpacked my guitar.

I tried sticking it back down, and then decided that I didn't care for the big Euro

sign anyway. So I took the whole p/g off and had no problems. Later on I made

a new pickguard out of Ebony Headstock Veneer from StewMac, and that's what's on my guitar now.

Much better. But I'll bet your Epi looks fine without a guard.

Archived