Gibson Brands Forums

NAGD Non Gibson

vangoghsear

Guest Farnsbarns

Very nice!

Looks like sapele to me. Mahogany often has a slightly wavier grain although it can be hard to tell, especially on a thin slice.

Rabs might pipe up and he'd be the one to listen to.

Ahhh. The Dreadnaught 15. The acoustic guitar played on most every album that features acoustic guitar. I always kind of went for that natural finish. I believe that's mahagony all the way around, top sides and back. Great, Great git, but I have said time and time again, man they are expensive.

Thanks guys. From what I've read, sapele is slightly brighter than mahogany, if that's the case, I am glad this one's sapele because it still has a very warm, dense tone; I can't imagine it being any less bright and sounding quite as good.

"Great, Great git, but I have said time and time again, man they are expensive."

I found it used. It seems to be in great condition, just a little 1/4" long surface scratch on the side of the neck heal. The price wasn't too bad on this one.

Thanks for the link rct, I'll check that out when I get home. I looked up the serial number on the Martin site and think I interpreted it as 2009, but the shop owner had looked up the number and told me 2006, but I think he misread the second number. I'll try the input on the link and see what I get.

2009 (I think), Martin D15. Mime looks like mahogany, but it may be sapele from what I read they used both to build D15s of that time. Plays great with nice natural compression and mellow tones.

Martin%20D15_zpswoybrcbx.jpg

Congrats! I have the DM15M as well. Mine is a 2012 model and is definitely mahogany. These are great guitars. [thumbup] Mine is darker than yours however depending upon what light you shot that picture in could make a difference. Enjoy!

I've owned two D-15M Martins and they are,indeed,nice instruments - especially for recording. The only issue for my personal taste is their total lack of brightness, which is why I sold mine. Have been wondering lately if the D-17 might be a better fit for me. That aside, really nice guitar!!

I have a D15 slot head which is sapele top, a D15 with a solid head which is all mahogany as well as a custom D15 which is also all mahogany. Your looks like mahogany to me.

I also have a 00015 slot head that's breathtaking in its sound and beauty.

I continue to insist the the Martin 15 series is easily the best deal going in acoustic guitars today. They play incredibly well, the sound spectacular, and oooh, they smell so good!

Also at that price point they are simply untouchable.

I hope you get as much out of yours as I have mine.

Archived