Gibson Brands Forums

Playability of Les Paul Custom v ES-335

gcpicken

Hi I am interested in the difference that people who have played both of these on the difference between the feel of how they play. I have a LP Custom, and am considering an ES-335. (There are no 335's in my local music store -- there are Epiphone's in that style).

My questions here will show my lack of knowledge of guitars, generally.

Is one fretboard wider than the other?

Is one neck chunkier (from to back)?

Is one easier to grab, say Jazz chords, than the other?

Is the neck profile different (in a way that matters) as you get closer to the body? I would guess that with a double cutaway that the 335 is easier to fret

Is fret height about the same? I had mine leveled on the custom, so I am just asking about how they come from the factory.

Is there something else I should be asking? (I've had this Custom for close to 20 years - I'm sure I should have investigated these things when I bought it)

Well, I can only address this, from my own experience. I have both a LP Custom, and Gibson "Lucille"...which

is basically, a ES-355 (dressed up 335). Both have Ebony finger boards. 335-345 have Rosewood finger boards.

The fret height is the same, UNLESS your LP Custom is the "Fretless Wonder" version, which has the lower frets,

from the factory. The Semi-hollow body ES series has a warmer, "rounder" tone, generally, than the solid body

LP Custom. They do have a lot of other tonal similarities, being "humbucker" equipped. The bigger bodied ES

takes some getting used to, compared to the much smaller LP's. The upper fret access is easier, with the double

cutaway body on the 335 style bodies. LP Customs are (usually) a bit "heftier" in overall weight. But, 335's

can be nearly the same weight, as the regular solid body LP's. LP Customs, in general, are heavier than the

regular Les Paul (Studio, Classic, Traditional, and Standard) models.

As far as "Jazz" chord, or any other chord, ease of use/access, they're the same, really. The only difference

would be the access to the upper registers. Which, on the 335, will be easier.

The fingerboard width, may vary...LP Customs are often very slightly wider. But, the

actual shape, and feel, will depend on the neck type, on the 335...'50's, 60's, or

the possible asymmetrical shape.

Best thing to do, is find a dealer that stocks both, and play as many 335's as they have in stock. One will,

most likely, catch your fancy. Don't be in a hurry, though...try as many as you can. Take your LP Custom

along, and compare them, side by side, for both feel, access, and tone, through a similar amp, to what you're

currently used to=using.

Good Luck, and have fun with the search! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Well, I can only address this, from my own experience.

Me too, and without spending a couple of hours with a micrometer and radius gauge, I'll sum up my opinion in a few sentences.

I've owned a Les Paul Standard for 40 years, and an ES-3xx of some flavor for 35 years. I never found a problem switching back and forth, but,... when I got a 335, I started playing the LP less and less.

If you buy a 335 you may find yourself neglecting the LP.

"If you buy a 335 you may find yourself neglecting the LP."

LOL, yeah Larry...I've had that experience, when I got my SG's! The LP's tend to become Case Queens! [blush]

But, I DO get them out, when the mood strikes me! It's just that the SG's are so light, and easy to play,

it's hard to put them down. And, they sound Great, as well. But, so do Les Paul's and ES models. [tongue]

CB

If you buy a 335 you may find yourself neglecting the LP.

...I've had that experience, when I got my SG's! The LP's tend to become Case Queens! [blush]

CB

For me it went just the other way round. Since I got my first Les Paul four years ago, and some more meanwhile, they get more playing time than my SGs and my ES guitar. But anyway, all of my guitars are far from being case queens. [biggrin]

For me it went just the other way round. Since I got my first Les Paul four years ago, and some more meanwhile, they get more playing time than my SGs and my ES guitar. But anyway, all of my guitars are far from being case queens. [biggrin]

Well, Cap...my guitars aren't really "Case Queens" either. I only meant they tend to be more

so, after I got my SG's! I had really forgotten how much I loved SG's, having not owned any,

for 40 years. After almost 3 years, I don't think it's a SG "honeymoon" phase, anymore, either!

LOL

CB

I think it's good to separate some things here, in the origonal question.

Neck shape, thickness, fret height, fingerboard width, those are "specs" that aren't unique to LP's or 335's. That will have to do with the particular model of LP or particular model of 335. It's possible to get a 335 with the same neck "feel" based on these specs as an LP, just as you can get two LP's with different necks, or 335's with different necks.

Aside from the specs of particular models, like the LP Custom with small frets. Ebony board vs Rosewood, like CB says.

So...for necks, look at the specs for that particular model of LP or 335. Better yet, play them.

Now the differences: Playability: it isn't just the doublecut vs singlecut, the 335 family has the longest neck in the business. The LP the shortest. That's where they join the body. It's not obvious unless you play them or look. There is a lot more frets on a 335 until the heel, where it joins the body.

Tonally, I personally think they are very similar in a LOT of ways, same pups and hardware, same general weight and solidness, and play very much the same. The major difference to me, is the 335 is more variable, with that extra little bit of hollowness adding to it. Depending on how it's played or what you coax out of it, that little bit of extra either can add or subtract what you want compared to an LP. Being very general here.

On the one hand, if you can't get it from an LP, you won't get it from a 335. That works both ways.

So also, a 335 to me is an LP on steroids, but sometimes, and to others, an LP is a 335 on steroids.

An SG is both, but on a diet.

I think it's good to separate some things here, in the origonal question.

Neck shape, thickness, fret height, fingerboard width, those are "specs" that aren't unique to LP's or 335's. That will have to do with the particular model of LP or particular model of 335. It's possible to get a 335 with the same neck "feel" based on these specs as an LP, just as you can get two LP's with different necks, or 335's with different necks.

Aside from the specs of particular models, like the LP Custom with small frets. Ebony board vs Rosewood, like CB says.

So...for necks, look at the specs for that particular model of LP or 335. Better yet, play them.

Now the differences: Playability: it isn't just the doublecut vs singlecut, the 335 family has the longest neck in the business. The LP the shortest. That's where they join the body. It's not obvious unless you play them or look. There is a lot more frets on a 335 until the heel, where it joins the body.

Tonally, I personally think they are very similar in a LOT of ways, same pups and hardware, same general weight and solidness, and play very much the same. The major difference to me, is the 335 is more variable, with that extra little bit of hollowness adding to it. Depending on how it's played or what you coax out of it, that little bit of extra either can add or subtract what you want compared to an LP. Being very general here.

On the one hand, if you can't get it from an LP, you won't get it from a 335. That works both ways.

So also, a 335 to me is an LP on steroids, but sometimes, and to others, an LP is a 335 on steroids.

An SG is both, but on a diet.

LOL, so True!! [biggrin]

CB

My 335 is very much like my 60's neck Les Paul's with one exception (discounting sound), the upper fret access is way better on a 335 absolutely no doubt about that.

Ian

Well as a follow up to my original post, I went to a local store and tried a variety of Gibson Es 335's. And then I tried a Epi Sheraton II, and since I already have the really nice Gibson LP Custom, I could not justify $3K more for the Gibson. I brought the Epi home, and except for the ego thing, I feel like, for me, I made the right choice.

I agree with the neck real estate, I found myself at the tenth fret several times, believing it was the 8th.

In the instance of the LP model that I have, and this Epi model, the feel of the neck is very similar. The LP seems to play a little smoother, but it has had a fret level, but gosh I would certainly HOPE it plays smoother!!

And thanks again for you all's help.

Well as a follow up to my original post, I went to a local store and tried a variety of Gibson Es 335's. And then I tried a Epi Sheraton II, and since I already have the really nice Gibson LP Custom, I could not justify $3K more for the Gibson. I brought the Epi home, and except for the ego thing, I feel like, for me, I made the right choice.

I agree with the neck real estate, I found myself at the tenth fret several times, believing it was the 8th.

In the instance of the LP model that I have, and this Epi model, the feel of the neck is very similar. The LP seems to play a little smoother, but it has had a fret level, but gosh I would certainly HOPE it plays smoother!!

And thanks again for you all's help.

We will be here for you.

I think you made a good choice. Be happy, as much as you can, for as long as you can.

With the Gibson LPC to go to, and the Sheri giving you the satisfaction you crave, it's a matter of time. It's a very dormant disease.

Sincerely, we are here to help. Support.

Don't feel bad about the ego. It's not you, it's the LPC. It tends to mess with a guy's ego, hard to contain at times. And again, we are here to help.

As it happens...

When I started to practice last night, there was a horrible buzz on 6 and 5. At every fret. I went back to the store today and they could not get it out without having the action so high it was ridiculous.

Result, they are bringing a Gibson ES 335 in from another store and I will be going with my original plan A.

Archived