Gibson Brands Forums

1935 Epiphone Zenith - opinions on purchase

WNR

Owned one of those in real nice condition at one time and sold it to a friend who plays guitar and banjo in an old time string band. Odds are it'll turn out to be a great sounding instrument and a versatile one, as well. Congratulations!

I have a 1936 Epiphone Zenith, the next year of the model where I think it got a bit bigger. This was an era where Gibson and Epiphone kept trying to outdo one another with size and volume. Mine is super loud for an acoustic, plus it's EQ is significantly different than today's guitars especially since it's an archtop. I suggest you purchase the book Epiphone, The House of Stathopoulo if you can locate it. It will tell you all about the Epiphone archtops from that era. They were/are fine guitars albeit different than today's guitars. Remember, too.., they were meant to be loud orchestral guitars so their action is higher than today's set ups to give the guitars more volume.

Good luck with it!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I am picking this up tonight. I think I got a good deal but haven't seen it yet. Here are some pics. It will need some work no doubt but I am excited and will get this up to par to play. I got it for $200.

Not a terrific price for the shape it's in, but it's certainly vintage.

Here's my 1939 Zenith....

zen221.jpg

mnm258.jpg

Um, not great. Newer Epi acoustics just seem to be in another league. I see on ebay they go for anywhere between $600 and $1200. Guys usually put a pickup on 'em.

Hopefully this one will sound good. Have you listened to David Rawlings play his '35 Olympic? Hopefully mine will sound like his. Can you send some pics of the bridge? I will start with that with restoring it. Thanks for the replys.

Archived