Gibson Brands Forums

Dave and gillian

blindboygrunt

As I watch this video - I am once again struck by how smooth the top seems on Gillian Welch's j-50. Has no crazing visible in any pf the youTube videos I've seen. Trick of the low res vids?

I searched photos, and couldn't find anything hi-res enough to say definitively. However, after looking at a lot of photos, I would say that the top is quite crazed, but no single photo is lighted from the right angle, or clear enough. I've never seen a J-50 go that dark without a lot of crazing.

The guitar also has a thin celluloid pickguard which is warping, and the adjusters on the ceramic saddle are the knurled thumbscrew type, rather than the later small slothead screws. I would say the guitar is 1955-1959.

gillian-welch-at-vfmf-2011-9_zpssmxii3nd.jpg

Gillian_Welch__zpsfesxpfi3.jpg

And speaking of her guitars, catch a load of this one. With the first-position fretboard wear and the finish crazing, this is one old D-45. Don't know if it's borrowed or hers, and whether it's one of that original group of 90. If it is, that guitar is worth a quarter to a half million cool ones.

GillianWelch-D-45BampW01_zpstdcog548.jpg

Archived