Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton Star Burst Tobacco Value?

schwalby

I have what I think is a Sheraton II Star Burst Tobacco. Reason I say I think is because it doesn't look 100% like other ones I have seen online.

I inherited this guitar and as much as I like it I need to sell it so hoping I can get some guidance on value. I have only been keeping it for sentimental value, I don't play.

Couple of things that seem odd are that there is no E on the pick guard and the serial number is not written on the paper label inside the guitar.

Sorry some of the pictures are a bit out of focus, camera was fighting me this morning. The guitar has a little case fuzz on it too.

So any input on what it is and value would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_1502_zpsotwem9us.jpg

IMG_1501_zpstyvt0oy2.jpg

IMG_1504_zpsfdd8i3vx.jpg

IMG_1506_zpsmuacbgf6.jpg

Can't give you an actual value, as internet forums don't count.

Also, depends greatly where you are, and what they go for in your area or country.

I can tell you this: these guitars are quite popular, and should be VERY easy to look up EBAY completed listings to see what they sold for (not ones listed that didn't sell). Could also try Reverb.

It's also the genuine SAMACK made, Korean version, which are thought to be the most desirable of the type. As well as a desireable color. As well as having the hard case with it. It also looks to be in good shape. That means what you find as far as value, you can put it at the top of the valuation.

One thing: because there is some hype involving the Samick made and/or Korean made ones, they DO sometimes sell for "more than they are worth", so depending on when and where, the alignment of the stars and planets, you could get more than what is common, or strike out. In other words, at times they sell for what may seem rediculas prices much higher than normal, but you can't count on it.

if you want to see resale login to Ebay and look for "Completed Auctions" and be sure to not confuse this with a Sheraton Pro II which is an entirely different animal in regards to resale value.

I think you're in the 400/500 USD ball park w/case (500 may be pushing it).

These guitars are in demand but honestly are not worth new or more price. People think these Korean ones are worth a fortune but since China has stepped up its quality especially in the electronics side they are not.

yea, I agree with you, a bit of a myth.

I had a (Samick) Korean Sherry, nice guitar, but.... the Sheraton Pro II that I bought in November of last year is 10x better. Better hardware, and WAY better electronics.

The serial number says it was made in the Samick plant in Korea in August, 1998. You'll be best selling it on eBay most likely. Make sure to put both "Korea" and "MIK" (made in Korea) in the auction title, as there are buyers looking for Korean made Epiphones only. Hype or not, the Korean ones are selling for good money. You'll probably get at least what it cost new. Of course, you could just sell it to me for $350! B)

Hype or not, the Korean ones are selling for good money.

yea they are, for the heck of it I checked "completed" listings and most were in the mid $400~$475 range. I paid around $550 new for my first sherry that was a late 90s MIK. it would have taken about another $175 $200 to get the electronics swapped out, the pickups were quite undesirable.

Thank you all for the information.

Looking on ebay and reverb it looks like the $400-$500 range is what I should be able to get. A lot of them say shipping included, anyone know how much shipping tends to be? I can grab the dimensions and weight and head to UPS but I am guessing I should do more to protect the guitar other then shoving the case and all into a box.

Anything else you guys would recommend me putting on in the posting along with, color, make, year and Korea and MIK.

Thanks

Thank you all for the information.

Looking on ebay and reverb it looks like the $400-$500 range is what I should be able to get. A lot of them say shipping included, anyone know how much shipping tends to be? I can grab the dimensions and weight and head to UPS but I am guessing I should do more to protect the guitar other then shoving the case and all into a box.

Anything else you guys would recommend me putting on in the posting along with, color, make, year and Korea and MIK.

Thanks

first off, make sure when you list this, indicate $ + Shipping...

where are you located? (State is good enough)

And from there depends on where you're shipping and the size box you're packing it in. could be anywhere from 25 to 80 bucks.

Don't go international..

UPS, you'll want make sure your box is in their range that doesn't "exceed" the regulations, (they can tell you more)

Make sure you insure it, UPS has been a house of horrors lately.

you may be better off going to the Post Office and going priority mail.

first off, make sure when you list this, indicate $ + Shipping...

where are you located? (State is good enough)

And from there depends on where you're shipping and the size box you're packing it in. could be anywhere from 25 to 80 bucks.

Don't go international..

UPS, you'll want make sure your box is in their range that doesn't "exceed" the regulations, (they can tell you more)

Make sure you insure it, UPS has been a house of horrors lately.

you may be better off going to the Post Office and going priority mail.

I am in NH.

I would definitely insure it and hopefully I will be able to find a box that will be big enough to hold it with a little extra padding and not be too large.

Maybe I can see if a guitar shop around here has a box left over from when they get a guitar in.

I am in NH.

I would definitely insure it and hopefully I will be able to find a box that will be big enough to hold it with a little extra padding and not be too large.

Maybe I can see if a guitar shop around here has a box left over from when they get a guitar in.

NH, I'm in central Mass, we're practically neighbors

they will probably have something but, don't be shocked if they charge you 10 bucks for it

you might try Craigs List first, specify local pickup and arrange to meet somewhere???

Kinda watching with interest, as I am thinking of selling some stuff. I haven't sold a guitar or amp in like forever.

Thinking back, seems all the of the stuff I have sold was either sold to a dealer, or traded in. Which for me, is kinda because I'm too lazy and can't be bothered with all the efforts.

Something I consider: how much is my own personal time worth, and also the actual cost of selling.

Archived