Gibson Brands Forums

A rare rare burst

E-minor7

Look at this one - no one else than Duane Allman's Bird. Never seen anything like it.

The red lives around the shoulders like the last rays of morning sun and there only - rather kool, , long live Kalamazoo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CismuSu99t4

The guitar sounds like the heavy braced ceramic bridged Square it is. Pretty powerful'n'focused, but without the sublime first-wave Bird qualities. Still not bad at all.

Wonder when it's from, , , doesn't appear to be a 11/16 to me - but the bridge says 68 or 9 where nuts went wide again. Perhaps a very early 68'er.

The young dude sounds good too - Allman would appreciate it. .

I love the way those older cherrybursts fade! Mine's a natural top and I love the way it's darkened, too. Gotta appreciate Hummingbirds all around, except some from the 70s. Wish I'd be around to see and hear how the current crop matures....

Interesting that one. The down belly supports your speculation as to year, Em7. The pattern on the pickguard seems to live strong, but the burst says the inconsistent red was not sorted out by the mid '60's (which I have read and heard). A conundrum of features.

@aliasfobias - The guard is in ok condition, but nothing like the early models tho. Pre-68's almost always stay intact.

And yes there was vague red paint used at some point. I recall reading it was weakest in 1964

@JCV - Not a 61'er, , , we must above 67.

@Lukec88 - Quite similar, but 2 sides of a line. Notice Allman's only has the red shadows on the shoulders ^

@EA - Yep, still yours has fixed saddle.

Also sounds a lot like my 68-69'er, which btw went from rosewood insert w. ordinary sized bone to ceramic saddle a month ago.

This guitar is a cherryburst SJ with vintage double ring tulips* and responds absolutely different than any pre-68 square.

It was born with adjustable rosewood saddle, but I managed to find a piece of original 1966 porcelain in early February. YES !

A tight focused fist of sound - yet without the secret sexy extra thing known from the less-mass-older-siblings.

Marcus King, who plays it, knows how to use that punch.

*Unlike Allman's also has the 5 screw guard.

Do you think its a long scale ? We talk a lot about the thicker bracing from the '68 onwards squares, but I reckon the long scale has the biggest influence in what drives the tone at least in my 69'er. It just has that more open, wide long scale tone compared to the more focused, mellow, complex short scale offering.

@aliasfobias - The guard is in ok condition, but nothing like the early models tho. Pre-68's almost always stay intact.

And yes there was vague red paint used at some point. I recall reading it was weakest in 1964

@JCV - Not a 61'er, , , we must above 67.

@Lukec88 - Quite similar, but 2 sides of a line. Notice Allman's only has the red shadows on the shoulders ^

@EA - Yep, still yours has fixed saddle.

Also sounds a lot like my 68-69'er, which btw went from rosewood insert w. ordinary sized bone to ceramic saddle a month ago.

This guitar is a cherryburst SJ with vintage double ring tulips and responds absolutely different than any pre-68 square.

It was born with adjustable rosewood saddle, but I managed to find a piece of original 1966 porcelain in early February. YES !

A tight focused fist of sound - yet without the secret sexy extra thing known from the less-mass-older-siblings.

Marcus King, who plays it, knows how to use that punch.

My eyes say yes, long scale but the down bridge throws off my calibration. I had 2 or 3 pre '97 which were (all?) long scale and found I preferred them to short scale. In fairness I was coming from the long scale world of Martin & Guild and had not yet embraced the short world.

Archived