Gibson Brands Forums

Is this really a J-45?

Boyd

I can answer the OP's question with some authority. It is a J45 Natural. I traded it in a few weeks ago at Elderly. The tuners and pick guard are aftermarket, indeed. I bought the guitar new about 5 years ago. Traded it because I acquired a sunburst J45, and preferred it over the natural. Although I have no vested interest any longer, I will say that it is a KILLER sounding guitar with a nice chunky neck.

RB

Very nice j45nick!

That raises another question though… has there ever been a "real" J-50 with a fancy inlaid headstock or fretboard? Don't think I have ever seen one, I thought the whole idea of the J-50 was simplicity.

Those inlays and the headstock binding were done for me back in about 1970-'71, I assure you no other guitar has them. It's sort of like that tattoo you got in a drunken stupor.....

You can see the headstock in my avatar as well. Headstock is bound in alternating layers of ebony and ivory (cut from old piano keys), inlays are abalone and MoP. Tuners are Grover Sta-Tite I put on in 1970.

I can answer the OP's question with some authority. It is a J45 Natural. I traded it in a few weeks ago at Elderly. The tuners and pick guard are aftermarket, indeed.

Thanks - nice to hear this from the person who knows! :)

Archived