Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson USA serial format change for 2014 still being used

BigKahune

I got into a thread in the LP subforum with new member who asked about the serial on his new 2016 Gibson LP Studio which he couldn't figure out - serial# 160044023.

Does anyone know if Nashville started using the serial format from 2014 - YYRRRRRRR - for 2016? . . Recall that 2014 was the 125th anniversary year for Gibson and they changed the serial format to 14RRRRRRR that year on most of their Nashville output.

<edit> UPDATE:

The OP on that thread in the LP subforum posted an email response from Gibson: "The serial numbers for most 2014-current Gibson USA models are different than the previous serial number schemes. The first 2 digits (14, 15, and 16) indicate the model year with the rest showing the ranking number of the guitar over the entire year’s production."

So beginning in 2014 most Gibson USA guitars use the YYRRRRRRR format. Don't know how this escaped me, but I wanted to get this info into the thread because, of course, after 2 and a half years, Gibson still hasn't updated their Serial Number support webpage with this info. . B)

In this case you'd go by the year stamped on the back of the headstock - no day/date, just a running production count.

Just like Gibson to make a change and not inform of the change until people begin to notice. Same thing happened in 2014.

The OP on that thread in the LP subforum posted an email response from Gibson: "The serial numbers for most 2014-current Gibson USA models are different than the previous serial number schemes. The first 2 digits (14, 15, and 16) indicate the model year with the rest showing the ranking number of the guitar over the entire year’s production."

So beginning in 2014 most Gibson USA guitars use the YYRRRRRRR format. Don't know how this escaped me, but I wanted to get this info into the thread because, of course, after 2 and a half years, Gibson hasn't updated their Serial Number support webpage with this info. . B)

Archived