Gibson Brands Forums

Fishman platinum Stage EQ/DI

Lukec88

Hello,

For a some time I wanted to have some good quality DI for stage performances. And because my LR. Baggs element pickup doesnt have any tone shaping built in options I wanted to have some sort of EQ on the stage so I can shape my tone on the stage.

I was searching for solution that isn't too expensive and its good quality build and sound wise.

I saw Fishman platinum stage EQ/DI preamp box. Its not that expensive and It has the controls that I need (and phantom power).

Fishman platinum Stage EQ/DI

Anyone have some experience with this preamp? How it sounds live? Is it good buy or not?

platinum_stage_preamp.jpg

Hmm I was watching AURA DI but I just don't want simulation sounds of other guitars. Im afraid that my Gibson would lose characteristic sound of Gibson.. Even on my electric guitar effects I never wanted simulators of some tones because they just sound live and true like real thing..

I hope I understood correctly what aura DI does, if not, feel free to correct me. :)

Hmm I was watching AURA DI but I just don't want simulation sounds of other guitars. Im afraid that my Gibson would lose characteristic sound of Gibson.. Even on my electric guitar effects I never wanted simulators of some tones because they just sound live and true like real thing..

I hope I understood correctly what aura DI does, if not, feel free to correct me. :)

Its not a simulation of other guitars or tone shaping ... read into it and find out what its about, but its not what you think it is. It simply makes your Songwriter sound like a Songwriter that is full, clear and without piezo quack.

I just don't want simulation sounds of other guitar

think of it more as matching the voicing of your guitar to the presets in the preamp.

I've had a Yamaha AG Stomp for years now, and it has a similar (albeit quite dated) internal design, The stomp "models" the results of micing various guitar sizes and different mics. There's a blend control that allows you to completely bypass the modeling, I tend to blend a little bit in because it does add some warmth with peizos.

I was pretty pricey back in the day, (about where the Fishman Aura is priced currently) It's served me quite well for a long time now, but I'm definitely due for an upgrade. This Fishman Aura is exactly where I'd go when I do this.

one of the reviews I found pretty interesting, someone with an SJ200 with an Anthem, which has a mic and a under saddle transducer with a blend control. (which is exactly what I've got, as well as a few other guitars with Fishman Infinity Matrix systems) He writes in the review @Sweetwater's site he got better results out of the under saddle element than he did with the Anthem's mic. And that is interesting, because the Anthem is just about the only acoustic I've ever had that I can actually plug straight into the sound board, and have a very good plugged in representation of the guitars sound when setting the blend to about 80% mic, 20% element.

On Friday im going to guitar shop with my songwriter and test them out, Platinum stage, platinum pro EQ and Aura spectrum DI. Will see what sounds best in my ears and will let you know what I bought. :)

On Friday im going to guitar shop with my songwriter and test them out, Platinum stage, platinum pro EQ and Aura spectrum DI. Will see what sounds best in my ears and will let you know what I bought. :)

Thats a very sensible approach.

I use a preamp on stage.

On my guitars with Fishman pickups I have used the Spectra DI for about 5 years, and on my mandolin I have a LR Baggs M Radius and use the new Venue.

Both highly recommended by me, but don't take my word for it. Go you and demo them.

So I went and tried Platinum stage, proEQ and Spectrum aura DI. I didnt try Tonedeq because Im not interested in delay or reverb effects.

I was hooked directly to PA system with my Songwriter. First I tried every box saperatly than later I was comparing between two of them on diffrent channels.

Platinum stage: I was surprised that this little thing is soo powerful! Output level was loud (volume pot on 12), even more than PROEQ and Aura. Built quality really good. Feels like it will last forever! EQ pots really smooth and easy to adjust. Sounds really good and it makes L.R. baggs element UST even better sounding, even all pots on 12 this thing sounds great right out of the box. Boost function is great for some solo lines in band.. All in all, great little thing for small amount of money!

Platinum PRO EQ: I havent tested it much because It was sounding (out of the box) to my ears the same as stage. Maybe little lower output signal, and ofc. brilliance, notch, tuner, compression etc.. Good pedal..

So after testing those two I just said to myself that if choosing between those two I would choose Stage version couse its small, compact, great quailty and half the price. So I took Stage and test it A/B against Aura spectrum DI (against different beast).

I wasnt sure if this Aura technology is for me or simple class-A preamp would do it for me.

When comparing these two, the aura sounded way better, fuller than stage when I blended cca. 30-40% of aura image. The difference was noticable. Without the aura, it sounded nice, similar than Stage.

Than I called the guy from shop to help me out. I did one test. I wanted him to tell me (hes guitarist ofc) which sounds better, fuller, more realistic when I change them A/B. He turned around and just listened. After some playing on both, he turned around and said it was the second one (aura), and he didnt knew the order. It was good experiment..:)

Anyways, I walked out with Aura spectrum DI, not because the guy liked sound better but because Its really great sounding box, delivering realistic sounds to PA which I liked more than platinums. Build quality is really good!

So when he told me the price (some % off) arround 358$ I was ok with it, but I tought that I'll get new one, unused. He said that they dont have new ones just one left and this one was for testing and demos. It was like new, maybe some slight signs of usage, nothing special. I tried to convince him to give me more off because Its last one and its unboxed already and used for tests. So he went and call hes boss. After few mins I walked out with cca. 80$ discount.. :)

Well, im happy with my purchase! Will let you know how first stage performance will sound. Oh I already loaded images of my songwriter.. yeey :)

Well done, you will not regret it Luke. Key is to find the ideal image for the Songwriter. try to look what they have there and just take your time listening to each image that is rosewood dreadnought, and then see if you can download Songwriter images to find the ideal match. I also had a Songwriter a few years ago and I did find an image I really enjoyed.

Also, watch out with not going too far with the blend mix, or it can start sounding a bit unatural. I normally keep it around 30% max.

Let us know how you get on with it.

Perfect!

[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup]

Did you get the power adapter? Saves using batteries.

BluesKing777.

I had adapter from my electric guitar pedal. :)

Well done, you will not regret it Luke. Key is to find the ideal image for the Songwriter. try to look what they have there and just take your time listening to each image that is rosewood dreadnought, and then see if you can download Songwriter images to find the ideal match. I also had a Songwriter a few years ago and I did find an image I really enjoyed.

Also, watch out with not going too far with the blend mix, or it can start sounding a bit unatural. I normally keep it around 30% max.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I already loaded my Songwriter images, but havent tested them yet on PA. Which images worked best for your songwriter?

One question, when uploading images in software, you can only change the user images setup on pedal, others (dreadnaught, orchestra..) stay the same as factory setup?

I had adapter from my electric guitar pedal. :)

I already loaded my Songwriter images, but havent tested them yet on PA. Which images worked best for your songwriter?

One question, when uploading images in software, you can only change the user images setup on pedal, others (dreadnaught, orchestra..) stay the same as factory setup?

I dont recall unfortunately, sold my SWD about 4 years ago

Yes, thats correct. You can only change the user images

I dont recall unfortunately, sold my SWD about 4 years ago

Yes, thats correct. You can only change the user images

What was the reason for selling Songwriter if I can ask? 😊

What was the reason for selling Songwriter if I can ask? 😊

Just didnt bond with it. Realised rosewood is not a tone i want plugged in ( too mudfy) i remember it hsd too much overtone, and it was real heavy bugger.

So for anyone who are reading this thread and are in the same position as me, I suggest next:

If Your guitar has Undersaddle pickup system than go for Aura spectrum DI. Otherwise, Platinum Stage and ProEQ are really great boxes that improve tone alot and are worth every penny! :)

I have the sensational Aura Spectrum DI - bought it as when it came out quite a few years ago now - I just keep thinking a new model is coming... Basically the images are an advanced EQ formula copied from the guitar you want to play.

Now the next step up the chain, unfortunately for Gibson acoustic players, is exclusive to the Martin Retro Series acoustic guitars. They sent vintage Martin guitars to Nashville to be recorded and Fishman encoded the results to EQ formulas (Sound images) for the Aura F1 Plus, which is inside the guitar!

Video highlights the idea:

I have the D18E Retro, which is the new model D18 with the addition of the Fishman Aura Plus. Can plug straight in anywhere, anytime and get the mic'd sound of a 1937 Martin D18 mixed with my D18 pickup...as long as I have batteries. Just sensational!!!!! [thumbup]

These Retro Series have been around for 3 or 4 years now and the new standard series with electronics now have a new system with just ONE image and an extra body 'sensor' similar to the K&K.

I am always banging on about these - no more after this. People want to sound like ripping cardboard with their Baggs direct to a PA - all the best! [mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

BluesKing777.

I have the sensational Aura Spectrum DI - bought it as when it came out quite a few years ago now - I just keep thinking a new model is coming... Basically the images are an advanced EQ formula copied from the guitar you want to play.

Now the next step up the chain, unfortunately for Gibson acoustic players, is exclusive to the Martin Retro Series acoustic guitars. They sent vintage Martin guitars to Nashville to be recorded and Fishman encoded the results to EQ formulas (Sound images) for the Aura F1 Plus, which is inside the guitar!

Video highlights the idea:

I have the D18E Retro, which is the new model D18 with the addition of the Fishman Aura Plus. Can plug straight in anywhere, anytime and get the mic'd sound of a 1937 Martin D18 mixed with my D18 pickup...as long as I have batteries. Just sensational!!!!! [thumbup]

These Retro Series have been around for 3 or 4 years now and the new standard series with electronics now have a new system with just ONE image and an extra body 'sensor' similar to the K&K.

I am always banging on about these - no more after this. People want to sound like ripping cardboard with their Baggs direct to a PA - all the best! [mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

BluesKing777.

I like Baggs element like pickups in guitar just because its great solution to amplify guitar with no big holes in guitar, really minimal drilling and its discrete. But in the other hand, when I played on stage directly on PA It always sounded so wierd/dull to me but I didnt know why. Even my fathers alvarez with great pickup/preamp built in sounded better.

So this aura like boxes and even only preamp boxes makes UST pickups sound at least 50% better than stock!

Just didnt bond with it. Realised rosewood is not a tone i want plugged in ( too mudfy) i remember it hsd too much overtone, and it was real heavy bugger.

Did you have fishman prefix II preamp inside your Songwriter? How it sounds compared to LR. baggs element? Anyone have some reviews?

Archived