Gibson Brands Forums

2013 vs. 2016 Gibson J35. Which one is better?

jimmyboy

I hear a lot about this year and that year being better or worse.

Best way, and only real way, to tell which guitar is better is to play two guitars side by side and decide which one YOU like best.

Anything other than that is a crap shoot as to whether you agree with someone else's opinion.

Which one sounds better? There's your answer. Just because a guitar was made in one year or another, or lumping every guitar made in a particular year and saying these are the best, etc. is ridiculous. It's a combination of a lot of factors that can't be 100% controlled and a sum of its parts and everyone who had their hand in making the instrument. If everyone was on their game and those particular pieces of wood seem to work well together and sounds great then you have a winner. But the least significant factor is when the instrument was built as far as calendar year.I;m sure there were both amazing and not so amazing examples of J35's built during both years. Heck, 2016 isn't over yet. there's still time for some really nice and really crappy J35's to be produced still.

Which one sounds better? There's your answer. Just because a guitar was made in one year or another, or lumping every guitar made in a particular year and saying these are the best, etc. is ridiculous. It's a combination of a lot of factors that can't be 100% controlled and a sum of its parts and everyone who had their hand in making the instrument. If everyone was on their game and those particular pieces of wood seem to work well together and sounds great then you have a winner. But the least significant factor is when the instrument was built as far as calendar year.I;m sure there were both amazing and not so amazing examples of J35's built during both years. Heck, 2016 isn't over yet. there's still time for some really nice and really crappy J35's to be produced still.

I mean overall better, not just the sound. I already have 2013 J35 and heard that there are some change on the 2016 model.I love almost everythingabout 2013 model except for the neck profile. My thought was if the 2016 model has a thinner neck then I might sell my 2013 and get 2016 model instead.

I mean overall better, not just the sound. I already have 2013 J35 and heard that there are some change on the 2016 model.I love almost everythingabout 2013 model except for the neck profile. My thought was if the 2016 model has a thinner neck then I might sell my 2013 and get 2016 model instead.

Again, who cares about features and perceived "better". Guitar companies are in the strange position of sort of shooting themselves in the foot because they are known for their traditions and there is a romance and attraction to 'vintage' and lots of people want vintage specs and appointments but in a new instrument. The challenge then is to stick to those things that people like and keep it 'old school' but change it enough in a way that makes people think they need the new thing. It's just marketing gibberish.

And really, asking the question your asking is kind of useless. If that neck on the 2013 is that much of a deal breaker for you, it really doesn't matter what advice anyone gives you. you have to get out there end actually play these guitars and decide for yourself. Apparently at some point you actually liked the neck on your 2013, otherwise you wouldn't have bought it, or you're just searching for a reason or rationale to buy the 2016. GAS is a horrible affliction. I'd say step away from the decision for a while. Give it a few weeks or months and concentrate more on your playing and practicing. Don't search forums and videos, etc. Just play, and at the end of a month see if you have the same urges.

You have to play both models and decide for yourself. No one can say which model is best for you. Only you can do that. There are 2013 owners who have no interest in a 2016 and in their view "their" 2013 is best. There will be 2016 owners who think the new model is the best thing since peanut butter and they have absolutely no interest in owning or even trying a 2013. It's all good..... My Hummingbird is almost 12 years-old and I sincerely doubt any of the newer models have much, if anything better than mine, and even if they actually do, it would be difficult to get me to agree or even be interested, because I'm content with my guitar......You've got to play the guitar that is "you." Hype is "hype." Real is "real." Each of us determines where the "hype" ends and the "real" begins. We play and then decide if we want it.

Archived