Gibson Brands Forums

I'm a hack at guitar, so why not be one at keyboard too...

Lars68

I just took delvery of this little keyboard thingy, which plugs straight into the Garageband app on my iPad.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigkeys/

I have no idea how to play, but my plan is to learn the most common one hand chord shapes and try to add some background organ sounding chording to the songs I have recorded. I also hope it might help my understanding of music theory along a bit. I figure theory is more visual on the keyboard.

What do you guys think; is it possible to learn some basic chording without any keyboard experience (and a shakey ear) at age 48?

The keyboard was plug and play, and I got everything working within 30 seconds. Just the kind of gear I like! There are tons of different sounds/tones to play around with in Garageband, from straight piano to organs and synths. More options than I will ever need. Real nice!

Lars

Anything you can learn musically will be an enhancement to your music. It all helps in understanding the big picture. Learn a few chords and play some simple songs. Don't pressure yourself and just have fun. You may lose interest in the keyboard or you may really get into it. Just try to make use of it and enjoy it.

I always just played what I thought sounded good. (all keys, even with accordian!)

Next you'll be looking at something like this: ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGS_O0LRnCA

That's taking it a little too far, I'm afraid [biggrin]

Actually, one of the main reasons I love the unamplified acoustic guitar so much is that it needs no power, batteries, computer algorithms, knobs, faders, or other gizmos. It just is what it is. When it comes to this new keyboard of mine, I plan to take the minimalistic route and find a sound or two I like and stick with those.

I just came back from my neighbor who plays keyboard. I hooked my keyboard up to her little Marshall bluetooth speaker, via my IPad and had her play it. It sounded great! Lots of musical potential for very little money. Now I just hope I can learn...

Lars

Archived