Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson price rise in UK

Mickthemiller

Must be a little more going on than just the pound devaluation. Pre-Brexit a pound was worth $1.50, today it is $1.33. So purely based on that, my calculations say a £1,400 guitar would cost £1,580 today. Maybe this is what it's like to be "at the back of the queue”? ;) http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/22/barack-obama-brexit-uk-back-of-queue-for-trade-talks

List price in most UK shops for my J45 custom when I bought it in April 2014 was £1999. The list price coming in just now seems to be £2499, quite a huge hike over two years. Brexit and the pound is certainly responsible for a good slice of that.

I suppose the only good news is that if you are selling, prices for used Gibsons in the UK will probably get a boost relative to the new prices. It's really not much fun if you are buying new though.

You've not self inflicted harm to your currency too, have you?

No. They've also struck a blow for sovereignty, opened up a new era full of opportunities, understood that New Zealand is a key (wee) trading partner, and made a clear commitment to spend 350 million pounds per week on their health service. Like us, they may well need to spend more of that enhanced health budget on anti-psychotic medicines.

Archived