Gibson Brands Forums

SG Faded Nightmare

cordeab

Thats an impact crack. Unless you keep the guitar in the freezer at night and in front of the fire in the day that can,t happen ,sure it just didn,t get knocked of its stand?If anything the neck would give out first on an sg.

The guitar was found on the floor by my son and wife several days prior to the break, the room's temperature is not controlled by a thermostat, and it is occupied by my 90lb dog. So with that wonderful combo of clues, I'd say the dog knocked it down, that caused a stress crack and temp flucuation finished the job.

My guitar mechanic does not open his shop on the weekend so I'll have to wait till after work Monday to get it to him and find out what the cost is for my lack of care and attention. Tough lesson to learn.

Thanks for all your input this is a great group of people.

With all due respect I don,t think that the temp played any part ,even If you were reckless with room temp it couldn,t do that. Ive got eight guitars on wall hangers 3 of them Gibsons and there on angled open stairs with warm and cool air going up the stairs all day and they have been like that for years and I can take any one of them down to play and there always in tune every time. I would say its a very unwise combination of sg on stand and big daft mutt. DOH! The good news is that it looks like a nice clean break so with the lack of nitro it should be a pretty straight forward repair. You have dropped the string tension haven,t you.

Update, I brought my SG to Ken Nash at The Guitar Mechanic in New London CT. He will fix the break, restring and do a set up on it for $150 and I'll have it back in 10 days. He also said he's seen this many times and in fact had another SG in the same condition in the shop already. I'll let you know how the repairs go. Thanks again for your support.

Thats an incredibly reasonable repair cost - Ken Nash must love guitars very much.

FWIW - My local guy charges at least 4 times that amount for this type repair- rather than simply glueing what's there , to make a strong repair my local luthier always grafts in a stronger piece of wood, leaving a massive diamond shape carve - of course on a natural finish SG, its tough to render a flawless repair using his approach.

But modern adhesives in skilled hands can work wonders today.

This area under the nut has always been the most vulnerable on all Gibsons, and the principle reason for the introduction of the "volute" in the early 1970's. i have a '72 Les paul ( my avatar) that has been on many road tours, and although I was not initially thrilled with its Neck volute when I purchased the guitar in '74 - no doubt the volute saved me from having to pay for this repair on several occasions when the guitar suffered accidental abuse.

Update' date=' I brought my SG to Ken Nash at The Guitar Mechanic in New London CT. He will fix the break, restring and do a set up on it for $150 and I'll have it back in 10 days. He also said he's seen this many times and in fact had another SG in the same condition in the shop already. I'll let you know how the repairs go. Thanks again for your support. [/quote']

Does that cost also cover the finish repairs? If not, you might want to ask about what that would cost. You'll never be happy with that cracked finish showing.

This area under the nut has always been the most vulnerable on all Gibsons' date=' and the principle reason for the introduction of the "volute" in the early 1970's.[/quote']

Yes, with the headstock angle also changed to 14 degrees to reduce short grain. The volute was introduced mid '69 on the Les Paul, I'm not sure when it first appeared on the SG.

Update' date=' I brought my SG to Ken Nash at The Guitar Mechanic in New London CT. He will fix the break, restring and do a set up on it for $150 and I'll have it back in 10 days. He also said he's seen this many times and in fact had another SG in the same condition in the shop already. I'll let you know how the repairs go. Thanks again for your support. [/quote']

That's very reasonable. I know what a heartbreaker this must be for you, but I've seen this type of break successfully repaired many times. Good luck and post some pics when it comes back.

Well, all you can do is have it fixed.

Post us some pics. Good Luck!

ps. a lot of people say they sound better after the headstock has snapped off once or twice.

It's possible. I once saw a piano split in half. Literally. Of course' date=' it was 50+ years old and we were moving it... apparently going from +25 to -25 (Celsius, that is) isn't good for instruments...[/quote']

Ouch...

Archived