Gibson Brands Forums

SG Faded Nightmare

cordeab

Got home from work to find the head of my SG nearly snapped cleanly off. The room is subject to temperature changes but in the rack with the SG are two Martin acoustics and an Ibanez AS73. Has anyone else had something happen to their SG?

P2040182.jpg

Did it fall down (i know it sounds like a "duh" question) if not, you may want to ask a gibson rep about it, or better yet, you could email their repair shop and ask what caused it.

Btw, i feel for you man, the moment i saw this i shrunk about an inch...

It was very tough on the eyes when I first saw it. I have sent a repair request to Gibson they sent an automated email that said to ship it to them in a hard shell case, pay $75 and they would evaluate the problem and get back to me in 3 to 4 weeks. My son told me he did find it on the floor several days before but it was un harmed. I practice every night and don't believe I would have missed seeing the damage over several days. I did not see any kind of dings or scratches. I mostly wanted to find out if this had happened to anyone else. I am going to take it to a local luthier and get his opinion and price of repair. I'll let you know how it goes.

Yikes! Never seen that happen without a dog, child or drunken idiot involved...lol Or a clutz (I have to be super careful, I have no coordination or grace). But the good news is a little wood glue, a couple pieces of scrap wood covered in socks and a clamp can at least get 'er back together good as new structurally. You'll still have a seam there, but clean breaks seal up nicely enough, especially like that where they're not in your playing path.

H-Bomb

Do yourself a favor and find somebody who knows how to fix this RIGHT and can cover the break cosmetically as well. If you get a choice between a fast and ugly repair that's cheap, and a slower, pretty repair that cost more, go for it and spend the bread now, because you'll never be happy with the repair if you skimp, and you get one real shot at fixing it right.

Guys the first thing I thought when I saw it was how much trouble my 21 year old son was in. After all its just me my wife and him that live here along with the dog and cat. My son is man enough and good for his word and says he did not and I believe that. My wife could never conceal such a thing from me after the 32 years we've been together. So that leaves the dog and she's not talking.

Its fortunate for me that there is a luthier shop close by, the guy has about 20 years in the business.

http://www.theguitarmechanic.com/

Believe me by the end of the day all my guitars will either be in their cases or hanging on the wall.

Thanks for your comments, advice, and encouragement.

I think someone busted it & ain't fessin' up!

Look for shifty eyes, sweat, toe tappin'.....

Wow, what a heartbreaker. The good news is that as has been noted, a good repair in that area will actually make it stronger than before. I agree with the comment to find a good, qualified repair shop to do it. Gibson is as good a place as any to start. Would only add that for this to be done correctly it isn't going to be inexpensive. The good news is that a qualified luthier can fix it so it's virtually invisible. BTW, get the strings off of there ASAP.

This is a reminder to me that as much fun as it would be to have my guitars out on stands, "in the case is the place". I have a big tom cat who's standard reply to home damage is ..."Hey, I'm a cat, I train YOU."

Cats love to push stuff over. Never leave a guitar in a stand with a cat in the house, unless the stand has a top latch.

Nah. Never leave a guitar in the stand anyway, cat or not.

Sorry about your guitar man. I can only imagine how it felt to see that.

So your saying it just did this all on its own?No one banged it' date='dropped ,or even touched it?[-( [/quote']

It's possible. I once saw a piano split in half. Literally. Of course, it was 50+ years old and we were moving it... apparently going from +25 to -25 (Celsius, that is) isn't good for instruments...

It's possible. I once saw a piano split in half. Literally. Of course' date=' it was 50+ years old and we were moving it... apparently going from +25 to -25 (Celsius, that is) isn't good for instruments...[/quote']

Well if you we're moving it that counts as touching it (obviously). His guitar was just in an empty room all day.

Archived