Gibson Brands Forums

Merrily off to the GC for a new Tele

Homz

If all goes well today I will have a new American Standard DLX Tele. I am finally sick of the 1st Run LE Robot just collecting dust in the display cab. I want a guitar I will play along with my LP Standard. I am also going to look at the SG Diablo while I am there. As was mentioned in another post The Musicians Friend site has them on clearance for $1.3K.

Wish me luck. I'll bet you the GC people will just piss me off. They have been doing that a lot lately. That's why I got my Mackie sound board at Sam Ash.

See if they have one leftover with the block saddles. I hate those bent steel saddles.

Me too... I think block saddles were the best improvement fender made to their american line... but then they just went back to the old ones... which proves people will whine about almost everything.

Didn't go as expected. The kids and I left at 9:30am to do the trade. We went to Reno's Music (small independent store), Sam Ash, and Guitar Center. The best deal of the three was at Reno's Music in Fishers, IN. Goes to show you how the big *** stores are not necessarily the best places to give your business. So there we were in the car on our way back to Reno's heading north on Hwy. 69 from Indianapolis and I made the dumb *** mistake of consulting with the keyboardist otherwise known as 'the wife'. She pitches a fit. Tells me how much she loves the 1st Run LE Robot. I know what she loves is the look more then anything else since I have almost never played it. So I agree not to do the trade. She did agree that I could make some alterations to it so I might actually play it more. I now plan to put a P-94 in the neck and not quite sure on the bridge PUP, but probably a 57 Classic or 57 Classic Plus. If you have any suggestions on a better choice for the back PUP let me know. I want something that will kick some *** for a classic British Rock sound.

I did find there was an issue with my auto tuner on the high E string. It wasn't working properly. I now need to find a authorized Gibson Warranty repair shop. Now this brings up another issue. Why the hell isn't Guitar Center an authorized repair shop. They sell more Gibson's then anyone in the area wouldn't you think they would also repair the damn things. That pissed me off. They couldn't even tell me who does Gibson warranty work. Now that's bullsh1t.

Anyway I'm going to get the PUP's done at the same time I get the repairs so suggestions for the bridge PUP would be appreciated.

I can beat the hell out of my guitars all by myself. I don't get the whole road worn thing. I think they're ugly.

Homz, make sure the tuner key is pushed in well and engaged.... Several time when my robot wasn't tuning correctly was because of that... I bought Custom Shop Jimmy page pupps from Seymour Duncan for my LP project.... Can't tell you how they sound yet until I get them in the guitar but they are supposed to do the kick as British Rock thing....

Me too... I think block saddles were the best improvement fender made to their american line... but then they just went back to the old ones... which proves people will whine about almost everything.

There ya go Homz.

Another thing. You probably really don't even want a Tele. You just think you do. Trust your wife. She's smarter than you. (you actually admitted that in another thread, and we all knew it all along, and we don't even know her).

I was sorta forced to play a Tele for a few years gigging live with a few Country/Country rock bands. I thought. It was just expected. I mean, I was kinda cool with it, they do have a nitch. But, MOST of my pro career has been with a Les Paul, or an SG, with a Strat. While a Tele has it's thing, it lacks in a bunch of things. You can't blend the pickups, single volume/tone, single coils hum don't say they don't, they do, scale is not comfortable to me, even the 9.5 is kinda round, the 7.25 is out of the question for me, ect. I hate the new saddles. I don't like the way Fender has Fenders made EVERYWHERE.

Last summer I was introduced to the ES-339. If you are REALLY gassin', check one of those out. It's been my #1 since Sept, my Tele hasn't been off the wall. Or, follow her advice, and make the Robot fit you.

Best of luck.

Murph.

There ya go Homz.

Another thing. You probably really don't even want a Tele. You just think you do. Trust your wife. She's smarter than you. (you actually admitted that in another thread' date=' and we all knew it all along, and we don't even know her).

I was sorta forced to play a Tele for a few years gigging live with a few Country/Country rock bands. I thought. It was just expected. I mean, I was kinda cool with it, they do have a nitch. But, MOST of my pro career has been with a Les Paul, or an SG, with a Strat. While a Tele has it's thing, it lacks in a bunch of things. You can't blend the pickups, single volume/tone, single coils hum don't say they don't, they do, scale is not comfortable to me, even the 9.5 is kinda round, the 7.25 is out of the question for me, ect. I hate the new saddles. I don't like the way Fender has Fenders made EVERYWHERE.

Last summer I was introduced to the ES-339. If you are REALLY gassin', check one of those out. It's been my #1 since Sept, my Tele hasn't been off the wall. Or, follow her advice, and make the Robot fit you.

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

She may be right. I was about to pull off the whole thing without her even knowing. That would have led to great peril in the Homz home. Yes she is smarter by ten fold over me. She's got freaking degrees growing out the ying yang and all sorts of letters after her name. I've got something like 4 college drop outs to hang on my wall. I do get the nod from her on physics questions. Especailly quantum level and nuclear.

Around 1996, I swapped my '72 Les Paul Recording, that was wore "slap" out, for a new American Standard Strat, because I needed a guitar, had gigs, and was in a financial "pickle". My wife did not know about the deal.

She was "very mad" which, I questioned at the time. I had gigs coming up for nearly a year, money in the bank. I didn't have any use for a "wore out" guitar. I'd gigged that guitar for 14 years and was done with it. I wanted a new axe.

Funny how stuff works.

I'd pay at least $2000.00 if I could have that guitar back now. Just because of the history. The family pictures. At the time, I just needed a guitar to gig.

Women have a sense, sometimes, that we miss.

Best to ya.

Murph.

Archived