Gibson Brands Forums

Original Vs Reissue

fab432

Are you laying out all this cash for an official restoration just to get it back to '58 specs for the sake of it? Or didn't you like the sound of the pickups (maybe early patent no. pickups or PAF's - valuable in their own right)? You kind of lost me saying you're going to have it re-worked for P-90's. They'll have to rout the area into a clean rectangle, plug it with new chunks of maple, then re-rout the P-90 cavities, and hope than when refinishing the glue line's don't pring through the lacquer after it shrinks in a few years. Seems like what you're doing is re-working a re-worked guitar. On the other hand, the early work to convert to humbuckers wasn't such a crime in my opinion, and it still could be a valuable "player." Dunno, I just haven't heard the OP say very much about how this was a killer guitar with lots of great tone or it played great; instead its starting to sound like an investment project.

Very good point. The guitar does sound amazing with it's current pickups and I forgot about having to rework the pickup cavities to accept the P 90's. Thanks for the heads up - I am going to leave the pick ups as is>

Good decision. In general, once the guitar is modified like that it's very difficult to restore without visible effects. Not sure what pickups are on there, but since it's been cut just leave them. The Nashville, too.

Are they going to refinish it for you?

I wish you'd quit flaunting your prize in front of me. I'd kill for your guitar

Did not intend to flaunt, having almost no knowledge I am scared as hell to post anything in case I get laughed at. But I did know that his logo is the same as mine.

Looking at the # of my posts don't think I'm flaunting .

Did not intend to flaunt' date=' having almost no knowledge I am scared as hell to post anything in case I get laughed at. But I did know that his logo is the same as mine.

Looking at the # of my posts don't think I'm flaunting .[/quote']

I hope you realize what you have. Check out Gruhns and see what late 50s Specials are going for

Yes I realise what I have. I have had it appraised. I also didn'twant it to go to some collecter to put away.

This is the only eletric guitar I have ever played, so don't have anything to compare to. After 30 years of occasional play ,I've played this guitar more in the last 3 months than my other guitars in the last 15 years.

I hope you realize what you have. Check out Gruhns and see what late 50s Specials are going for

Yes I realize what I have. I have had it appraised. I also didn't want it to go to some collecter to put away.

This is the only eletric guitar I have ever played, so don't have anything to compare to. After 30 years of occasional play ,I've played this guitar more in the last 3 months than my other guitars in the last 15 years.

And now the waiting starts - Looks like anywhere between 6 and 12 months before my guitar gets completed. They'll call me when it's done. Funny how it turns out sometimes. I bought the guitar thinking it was a 70's or later reissue and turns out to be a modified 1956. The modifications don't really bother me as I was never looking for a collector guitar just an older Les Paul model that I could have fun playing. If the finish had never fallen off I might never have known the real age of the guitar. Thanks again to the forum members who assisted in a clear thought process on what really should be done with the guitar - just a refinish. It is odd that it has a 1958 wiring harness but I think I will sell that when I get the guitar back. Might help to pay for the refinish. Thanks to all.

• 6 months later...

Hello Hello,

Well I got the call from the Gibson Repair facility my Les Paul is ready!!! That was a quick 9 months. I now have to settle a dispute with UPS who want to charge the Gibson Repair Centre $712.95 for duties on the guitar? But we may be closer to resolution as they just found out the guiotar was Made in the U.S.A. So I hope to have this cleared up real soon so I can get the guitar shipped home.

Once I get the guitar (hopefully within the next week) I will post pics and provide a commentary on how she sounds.

Stay Tunned :-)

Archived