Gibson Brands Forums

Original Vs Reissue

fab432

Hello - Just a quick question on Les Pauls. Would anyone know in what year the binding in the cut away area was increased in size to cover up the slice of the top that you can see in the '50's models? Also do any of the reissues go back to the same size binding all over the guitar including in the cut away? Thanks, Len

First seen on the Deluxe around late '69 or early '70. No big deal at the time, but, along with the volute, Made in USA stamp, mutli-piece bodies & necks, big headstocks, etc, it became something of a Les Paul Norlin "dog collar".

Many thanks for the info. I am at a bit of a loss. I bought a Les Paul Gold Top thinking it was a late 60's or early to mid 70's reissue. The guitar had been refinished (badly) and in that process the serial number was affected. It was re-inked by hand and looks like it as well. I wasn't concerned that much when I bought the guitar as I already thought it was a reissue and the price was OK. Now that I have the guitar I am not sure on the date anymore. All the pots are Central lab and date to 1958 (134802), the switch also appears to be 1958. Small headstock, no volute and same size binding all over the guitar even in the cut away, jackplate looks like a late 50's issue as well. You can see the thin slice of the top below the binding in the cut away. Pick ups look like they were replaced as they have the patent sticker on them. Tuners single line Kluson with the patent number. So perhaps this is in fact a late 50's guitar. The re-inked serial number (might be first digit only) is 6 0116. But with all the parts indicating a 1958 date I would bet the serial number should be 8 0116. Interesting.

I agree the logo does look a bit weird. I sent some pics to the service dept. and based on those pics they said it was OK. Anyway I am sending it to Nashville for a complete check over and a refinish (if it is what I think it is). Anyway when I bought the guitar it was in CA and I am pretty sure it had been refinished at least once before. That finish had started to lift in a couple of places. No big deal. Well during the shipping from CA to -20 Toronto the top coat literally fell of the guitar. I opened the case and could not believe that the top finish was cracked in 100 pieces and fell off the guitar. Underneath that it looks like there may be at least 2 layers of gold paint. In the pics below you can see the original top coat next to the edge binding and under the tailpiece.

g-7.jpg

g-8.jpg

g-141.jpg

Wow Ive been playing and collecting 30+ years and never seen anything quite like that strange doesn't even begin to describe that finish looks like bondo or some other spread on finish and the logo looks like it was done with a Dremmel but that might not mean much Ive seen a similar logo on a 1954 Les Paul that was 100% original. Let us all know what you find out about your poor guitar.

Id guess automotive paint was used and never sealed to the wood.

Yes the logo has been verified as original by Gibson but I would like them to see it in person as opposed to a pic. The guitar is heading off to Nashville this week so the great guys in the restoration dept. can take a look at it. Based on what I can tell I believe it was made in 1958. I'll let you know what I find out after it has been looked at.

I've seen a few originals with logos that looked similar to that. Really a shame what happened to it. Does look from the photos to be a refin. Not unusual on a gold top, the originals' gold & clear process was pretty delicate in the best of conditions. That damage was likely the result of a very rapid temp change, or repeated extremes.

short pickup rings and a nashville bridge don't really fit for a 1958. neither does that case in the background. tailpiece and inlays looks wrong too. it's hard to tell in the pics, but the fret binding still appears to have the nibs, but they look wrong for a 50s LP. it's also hard to tell, but is that chrome hardware?

still not too sure about that gibson logo.

• 1 month later...

Update - the great team at Gibson identified the guitar as a modified 1956 Goldtop. The pick up cavities were routed out to accept humbuckers and as mentioned previously the wiring harness is from 1958, pick ups are from the 60's and so on. The good news is that it is structurally sound and ready for some work to be done. I am hoping they can replace the parts with the '56 reissue parts and I am getting a couple of P 90's installed. It's going to be awhile before it is done but nothing good comes easy!!! Stay tuned.

Attached are the pics of the Les Paul. There is a funny and sad story about the finish which I will get to later.

gt-14.jpg

g-20.jpg

cutaway.jpg

GLP15.jpg

g-6.jpg

Just fixed the tags so the other two pics will show.

Archived