Gibson Brands Forums

Serial Number Mystery

Ericmack

Hey guys,

My dad had an old J-50 that he handed down to me not too long ago and I'm hoping someone can help me pinpoint the year it was made. I've looked through everything the wonderful interweb has to offer and I can't seem to line up the serial number with the charts I've seen. I've added a couple of pics but the serial number is i761 17 (or it at least looks like it). Anyway, any help or advise would be appreciated!

post-82119-098988500 1477591206_thumb.png

post-82119-081870600 1477591220_thumb.jpg

When I compare the first character to the other 1's it looks a little thinner and looks more like an 'i' than a 1. But it could be a 1. I had to lower the quality of that pic to almost nothing to be able to load it up. If anyone wants a closer look I can email the larger image to you.

The "I" is most likely a 1, although I'd need to see it to be sure. If that's the case, this is a 1948 J-50, which is consistent with the visible features such as the slot-through bridge, 19-fret neck, and pickguard.

She looks like a real beauty.

The "I" is most likely a 1, although I'd need to see it to be sure. If that's the case, this is a 1948 J-50, which is consistent with the visible features such as the slot-through bridge, 19-fret neck, and pickguard.

She looks like a real beauty.

Can I send you a higher resolution pic via email? The more I look at it the more I can see it being a faded 1 but i would like to have another trained eye look at it?

Can I send you a higher resolution pic via email? The more I look at it the more I can see it being a faded 1 but i would like to have another trained eye look at it?

Please do. If you have trouble doing it using the board's email messaging, I will send you a PM with my email address. I have a J-45 of a similar vintage to your J-50.

I would be interested to know what you find out as I have a J-45 with similar numbers ( 1018 17) and have wondered what year it might be. Mine also has the up belly bridge,19 fret, tapered headstock and block script logo.

Late 1947 to early 1948.

Post a picture when you can.

There's a country song in there somewhere.

"Life Ain't Easy For A Boy With Bad Feet"

"Hello Feet"

"To Live's To Limp"

"She Got The Gold Mine - I Got Bad Feet"

"That Bad Footed Daddy Of Mine"

"I'm Just Here To Get My Baby Corrective Shoes"

"Fallen Arches Blues"

...additions welcome

"Life Ain't Easy For A Boy With Bad Feet"

"Hello Feet"

"To Live's To Limp"

"She Got The Gold Mine - I Got Bad Feet"

"That Bad Footed Daddy Of Mine"

"I'm Just Here To Get My Baby Corrective Shoes"

"Fallen Arches Blues"

...additions welcome

My feet keep takin' me to where I shouldn't go,

my heart keeps leadin' me in ways I'm scared to show.....

etc, etc......

Archived