Gibson Brands Forums

One man, one guitar, many voices

sparquelito

Wow!!

That was awesome! Dude can play!

Have never seen him do acoustic. That was frickin fantastic.

Thanks for posting that Sparky.... Damn. I'm real happy I saw that. Thanks man!

Yeah man!

Halfway thru his third song I was weeping, and I can't say why.

Well, yes I can.

Pain pill addiction nearly claimed the life of somebody close to me, and it did indeed do this man in.

So close he was to recovery, too.

He missed a ride in the limousine to rehab by just a few hours, they say.

:(

Yeah man!

Halfway thru his third song I was weeping, and I can't say why.

Well, yes I can.

Pain pill addiction nearly claimed the life of somebody close to me, and it did indeed do this man in.

So close he was to recovery, too.

He missed a ride in the limousine to rehab by just a few hours, they say.

He had a lifetime to get off the dope. At least since we were young, when he decided to stay on them and keep going. I used to think if him as and often referred to him as a genius, but I was wrong. A great guitar player, an even greater writer and arranger, but pretty dumb overall about everything else. Too bad, I took him off the iPod.

rct

He had a lifetime to get off the dope. At least since we were young, when he decided to stay on them and keep going. I used to think if him as and often referred to him as a genius, but I was wrong. A great guitar player, an even greater writer and arranger, but pretty dumb overall about everything else. Too bad, I took him off the iPod.

rct

Not to be argumentative, and you know that I respect you a great deal, but by all accounts, Prince only recently got onto the pain pills.

He was, according to many, drugs and alcohol-free until just the last year or so.

And then arthritis in his damaged hips began to hurt terribly.

And so the quick descent into pain pill addiction became a fatal turn of affairs.

:(

I would never degrade anyone because of their addiction or inability to cope. Has nothing to do with their "genius".

It's a completely other thing entirely.

Dude was a major talent regardless of how you choose to categorize him.

He was a frightening talent. Purple Rain came from space it seemed. Him and Dez were amazing guitar players, his bands were always just the bomb.

Ok?

He also had every resource, every dollar, and every day off it takes to get off dope. Unlike lots of people, people near me too. A true "genius", as I called him many times, would have protected his genius and taken the time and effort to get off the dope so he could keep being a genius.

That's where he lost me, when he made the decision to keep the pills above everything else.

My second older brother did that, it killed him too. I hold him in the same regard, a very smart man that put the pills first, above even the children he claimed to love so much. He did love his family and his flock, for sure, but he loved the pills more.

rct

Fair enough.

Very sorry about your Bro.

I know addicts but have never lost a close one as you have so I can't appreciate it the same as you but I get it.

I did however have a very close friend that was drunk who died falling down stairs whom I named my son after. I hated his addiction but never denied him his intelligence because of it. His dependence had nothing to do with his intellect yet it was his demise. It never changed his brilliance from my perspective.

I just don't think that addiction is a choice.

But that's just my opinion.

I may well be totally wrong.

I just don't think that addiction is a choice.

I don't either. It's when the addiction is made clear, it is well known, it is up front. That's when a choice is made to not get off the stuff.

rct

I don't either. It's when the addiction is made clear, it is well known, it is up front. That's when a choice is made to not get off the stuff.

rct

I suppose.

But who is it clear to?

To whom is it well known or up front to?

That is possibley subjective.

Perhaps not clear to an addict.

Have you ever been addicted bro?

He also had every resource, every dollar, and every day off it takes to get off dope. Unlike lots of people, people near me too. A true "genius", as I called him many times, would have protected his genius and taken the time and effort to get off the dope so he could keep being a genius.

That's where he lost me, when he made the decision to keep the pills above everything else.

My second older brother did that, it killed him too. I hold him in the same regard, a very smart man that put the pills first, above even the children he claimed to love so much. He did love his family and his flock, for sure, but he loved the pills more.

rct

I'm sorry about your brother, rct.

And I apologize, I was operating under the faulty impression that Prince had only recently gotten addicted to the pain pills.

Clearly, from studying all the online references and articles on the man's life, he had been on them for a very long time.

You were right, and further, I understand and respect your feelings regarding his choosing the pills over sobriety and a long life a music-making.

I have studied a number of former addicts and alcoholics who chose a life of sobriety over addiction and death, and every one of them have profound stories to tell.

Alice Cooper, Joe Walsh, Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, (and the recently-sober Kirk Hammett) all of them at death's door at one time or another, and now living proof that you can still be creative and clean.

:unsure:

Archived