Gibson Brands Forums

Unusual Epiphone?

tapiochre

Many years ago, back in the late 70's I acquired a beautiful (what I recall as an) Epiphone SG. In the early eighties I had to sell her and its now lost to history.

The unusual elements that I have never seen since was the scratchplate under the control pots and switch and the unusual gap between the neck and the neck-pickup.

It appeared to be a legitimate design as opposed to something added by an earlier owner (the design, construction and manufacture were really precise). So, my question is, was this an Epiphone at all, if so, was it a common design and what was the model number? Are these still available or am I barking up the wrong Epiphone tree?

Photo attached!

Cheers

Chris

post-82504-045725600 1478640677_thumb.jpg

Everything I have access to indicates that the Epiphone G Series (SG style guitars) weren't introduced until 1989.

I can't read the headstock there;

Does it say Epiphone, or is it fuzzy to you too?

The headstone shape looks like Gibson, but the lettering is wrong.

[crying]

Don't think that it's a Kay, although the pickguard was really close to that one. Kays had an embossed logo on the guard (below the neck pickup), weird "toaster type" pick ups and every one that I ever saw, had a cheesy Bigsby style tremolo, not a stop bar tailpiece. I knew a guy that collected Kay and Ampeg guitars (I know, huh?), so I've seen a few, but maybe not all versions. Are there any indications that either the pickups were swapped out or the logo and/or Bigsby were removed? My guess is that it's a combination of parts. Interesting though....

• 2 weeks later...

Avon Rose-Morris?

Avon+Rose+Morris.JPG

Well look at you! I believe that you've got it. The control locations, pickups and stop bar all appear to match. A better look at the headstock, in the original picture would confirm 100% in my mind. Nice sleuthing.

Archived