Gibson Brands Forums

Collings Guitars

fretplay

Most of the custom dread makers roll a little off the low end and accentuate the trebles. The D2H I tried had more balance and clarity than an HD28, but more sparkle on top than an AJ. Good guitar, but didnt aspire to take it home. Be curious to try one of the Loos.

Collings guitars are really super instruments. They're (to me) kind of like an exceptional Taylor when it comes to sound: clean, pristine, on the bright side. Their quality is at the top of the mountain, but they don't appeal to me on a human level as far as tradition, tone, and looks are concerned. If I were spending 4-grand+ on a guitar (which I won't) I'd likely be looking at a new Gibson TV of some kind. Collings just come across as a bit too modern looking and sounding for me.....Of course, most of this guitar stuff is purely subjective. My opinion doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong. We buy and play what speaks to us.

Collings guitars are really super instruments. They're (to me) kind of like an exceptional Taylor when it comes to sound: clean, pristine, on the bright side. Their quality is at the top of the mountain, but they don't appeal to me on a human level as far as tradition, tone, and looks are concerned. If I were spending 4-grand+ on a guitar (which I won't) I'd likely be looking at a new Gibson TV of some kind. Collings just come across as a bit too modern looking and sounding for me.....Of course, most of this guitar stuff is purely subjective. My opinion doesn't necessarily make me right and someone else wrong. We buy and play what speaks to us.

I dont know about the taylor part .. But I cant speak about there dreads.. I know the Cj35 I bought.. Gibson does not have a comparable .. Not even the legend J45 or even the Rosewood standard AJ.. I ve got many of both of those as well.. Just not in the same league..

Archived