Gibson Brands Forums

Songs you love but hate to play

peiplayer

There are some songs that even though they are very fine songs, everyone plays them and they have become overdone and make you cringe when someone starts on one. A few examples:

Let the circle be unbroken

I saw the light

House of the rising sun

Blowing in the wind (first song I ever learned and still love to play)

What do you think?

I agree, certainly there are songs which I always cringe when played. But even the over played classics can be arranged in to new, unique and exciting styles. House of the rising sun is a great example of this, it can be almost unbearable when played badly, but when done well I will always enjoy it.

I think there are some songs that do fall into the category of being overdone, but I think it's mostly because they're done poorly. House of the Rising Sun is a great example. I hate hearing people try and pull off the Animals version, because I have always thought the Animals version is stupid, like someone raving about Foghat, when there is the REAL thing out there and most people don't know it. I have developed my own version of House of the Rising Sun and like it, but it's closer to the roots version. Will the Circle Be Unbroken is another one - lots of people bang this out because they think it's easy, but handled well it's still a great song. I hate the pop version of Blowin' in the Wind (by this I mean when people try and sing it exactly right) but I like singing a more roots based version... somehow sounds more authentic...

So, here's my list of songs I hate hearing people do because they miss the intent of the song, but if done well I'll still enjoy :-)

You Are My Sunshine

Folsom Prison Blues

Wildwood Flower

Wahbash Cannonball

Molly Malone

I'll Fly Away

9 pound hammer

John Henry (too many stupid versions)

Frankie and Johnny (I blame Elvis for this, there are blues versions nothing like what he did)

I have to add, as much as I love Cash, the Tennessee two-step gets on my nerves after 2 songs. I play Folsom Prison Blues slower, more acoustic/blues and I like it. And RIng of Fire sounds much better without the mariachi horns. JMHO Of course, I think this falls in line with what I like, I gravitate toward the authentic. I'd much rather listen to Robert Johnson's Sweet Home Chicago than the Blues Brothers.

And I know this is an acoustic forum, but I have to add while we're on the topic (great topic, BTW!) that I can't stand walking into a guitar center and having to walk past the rows of 15-17 year olds all trying out $1200 electric guitars and all trying to play eruption or stairway. Thank goodness the acoustics are in an inner room away from that din.

OK, just had to get that off my chest.

AND FINALLY - there is one song that I think more kids with electrics need to learn: I Got My Mojo Workin'

Wagon Wheel. A zillion version on YouTube and only about three are any good.

To flip this, I like finding songs that everyone knows but hardly anyone covers. You Wear It Well by Rod Stewart, for example. There is just one cover version on YouTube.

Rc

When a song reaches the "overdone" point for me I start changing it around some. Nothing drastic, add or change a riff here and there, or change the strumming or picking pattern of the verese or chorus, maybe even go as far as changing a word or two. It keeps the song fresh and fun for me, plus it easy enough to go back to the original if it doesn't work.

- there is one song that I think more kids with electrics need to learn: I Got My Mojo Workin'

Don't say that, I don't want to hear a thousandy shotty versions of Got my Mojo Workin', there's really one definitive version, Muddy at Newport when he really gets into it, and there's no way to top that, although I'll listen to other well done versions (of which there are already dozens because every 60s Blues Revivalist played it) ---and I certainly agree, I always gravitate towards the gritty real down home stuff with blues and folk, as much as I love BB and Albert I'd rather hear a gritty delta blues album then a full brass blues band anyday, and as fer folk, it's gotta sound authentic, I want the singer to sound like they swallowed some dust bowl sand

Don't say that' date=' I don't want to hear a thousandy shotty versions of Got my Mojo Workin', there's really one definitive version, Muddy at Newport when he really gets into it, and there's no way to top that, although I'll listen to other well done versions (of which there are already dozens because every 60s Blues Revivalist played it) ---and I certainly agree, I always gravitate towards the gritty real down home stuff with blues and folk, as much as I love BB and Albert I'd rather hear a gritty delta blues album then a full brass blues band anyday, and as fer folk, it's gotta sound authentic, I want the singer to sound like they swallowed some dust bowl sand[/quote']

true, there is only one definitive version... love it

however, I just think it'd be funny to hear a bunch of punks trying sing that song, the humor factor might outway the annoying factor, plus, maybe it would start a craze - a bunch of suburban kids all going online and ordering mojo hands.

think about it...

[-X

I also like Dead Flowers' date=' by the Stones as I'm a huge Keith fan, but I don't enjoy playing Dead FLowers..... I play 2 dozen Stones songs and it's the only one I don't get a kick out of.[/quote']

I only play Wild Horses...and love playing it. Todd, which ones do you suggest learning to get a kick out of playing them?

Rc

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Stairway To Heaven. I like to play the intro as a finger picking exercise (given that I'm not very good at the aforementioned finger picking) and because it's a great piece of music IMHO.

But I wouldn't play it in public - isn't it banned in most public places anyway?

On the flipside, not a huge Oasis fan but love to play Wonderwall and Half A World Away.

I also like Dead Flowers' date=' by the Stones as I'm a huge Keith fan, but I don't enjoy playing Dead FLowers..... I play 2 dozen Stones songs and it's the only one I don't get a kick out of.[/quote']

I love playing Dead Flowers, but personally only the Towns Van Zant version, never even tried the original...

I only play Wild Horses...and love playing it. Todd' date=' which ones do you suggest learning to get a kick out of playing them?

Rc[/quote']

Oh, man, any of them!

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Sympathy for the Devil,

Paint it Black,

Gimme Shelter,

Angie,

It's only Rock-n-Roll,

All of those are fairly easy, 3-4 simple chords.

I cop Keiths intro's and and a few licks here and there throughout the song, but you do most of those with just strumming the chords and make them sound decent.

I'm working on Wild Horses in Open G right now, it's easier and sounds better than it does in standard, and Blinded by Rainbows.

Get the rhythm, then spicing it up is the easy part, as opposed to learning it note for note....hell, Keith never plays them note for note.

Tumblin' Dice!

Spider and the flie

Their version of All your Love in Vain, by Robert Johnson

Beast of Burden,

Get off of my cloud, etc....... There's 15 I'm not naming....

Check out their "Stripped" album.... lots of acoustic arragments.... good stuff, slightly different from original recordings or how they do it in concert.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Stairway To Heaven.

I didn't mention Stairway because I thought Waynes World took care of that for us... No Stairway!

:-)

as far as stones songs... jumpin' jack flash is one most people mess up.

I like paint it black, esp. if it's sung in french.

AND did anyone here see The Life Aquatic? One of my fav. movies, my son and I have matching "Team Zissou" shirts and red beanies. Anyway, I love all the David Bowie songs sung in Portugese

Archived