Gibson Brands Forums

LP Pickup Selector Switch

Twang Gang

OK you electronic wizards, and tech experts - please offer advice on this.

When I have my selector switch down for the bridge pickup everything is fine, but sometimes when I switch it up one position for both pickups, the neck pickup does not engage. A little jiggling and it then sounds as it should. Then sometimes when switching from the middle position to the neck only it cuts out and I get no sound. Again a little jiggling of the switch will remedy it.

I took the back cover off and removed the switch and the connections look OK to me (but I am no expert).

Is there an easy fix? Or is it perhaps time for a new switch altogether?

I am kind of rough on the switch as I like to change pickups mid-song often and since there is not a lot of time between measures or notes it does get a fairly abrupt swipe with the picking hand.

Any advice greatly appreciated before I head to the guitar repairman.

It is possible to fix if you frequently switch (more than usual or when after long disuse ) then, maybe, the switch contacts can be refreshed again. But if that does not work (after 2-3 days of the said switching) then yes, it is better to replace this switch.

I'm far from being an expert on this but here's my experience:

I used to leave the selector switch in whatever position it was last in (i.e. up, down, middle).

My luthier told me that leaving the switch in the up or down positions will, over time, "bend" that contact point if you will, to where it no longer makes a good contact. Made sense to me and ever since I've left my switches in the middle position when not in use, no more issues.

Might help if you "bent" the contacts back to see if that helps. It's an easy and quick fix if it works. As always, YMMV, and I repeat, I'm far from an expert. [laugh] If all else fails, "Switchcraft"!!

I've got one doing it..........

Usually I just clean the switch contacts with a little de-oxit spray and it comes back fine, but the one I'm fighting now is taking more than that so I'll just replace the switch.

NHTom

I'm far from being an expert on this but here's my experience:

I used to leave the selector switch in whatever position it was last in (i.e. up, down, middle).

My luthier told me that leaving the switch in the up or down positions will, over time, "bend" that contact point if you will, to where it no longer makes a good contact. Made sense to me and ever since I've left my switches in the middle position when not in use, no more issues.

Might help if you "bent" the contacts back to see if that helps. It's an easy and quick fix if it works. As always, YMMV, and I repeat, I'm far from an expert. [laugh] If all else fails, "Switchcraft"!!

Thanks Dennis, Rabs made the same suggestion over in the "Repair Board" and it made sense to me looking at it. So I bent those plates in a little and it works fine this afternoon. We'll see if that fix holds up over time. Like you I never paid attention to where the switch was when I put the guitar away. Now I've gone and opened all my Gibson cases and made sure they were all in the middle :)

Archived