Gibson Brands Forums

Volume Pedal

Blueblooded

A few months ago I picked up a Dunlop volume pedal so I could back down volume on songs when appropriate. I run all my pedals through my affects loop (on either my 5:50 Mesa or 40W Fender Hot Rod III) and put my volume pedal at the end of the chain (leading to return). I find that I can put the amp volume up to where it would be at band volume levels and use the volume pedal to bring it all down to bedroom levels while retaining most (if not all) of sonic character of the amp and any pedals running through it. Of course, there is a point where low volumes are just not as pleasing sonically as loud is, there's no getting around that. But this prevents me from buying another small, crappy sounding amp that I know I would be unhappy with. I'm very happy with this benefit of my volume pedal.

I'd be interested to know if anyone is doing this or has considered it vs. the need for an additional small amp. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Interesting way of doing it. Should work live as well.

My Fender Super 60 has 'pre-amp out' and 'pwr amp in'. Probably too much gain for an fx loop.

I gig with a Boss FV500H vol pedal (the steel case one) - 1st thing in the chain and my foot is always on it. I've been a vol pedal guy for years....should be better at it!

And I have another board with the FV50H which is plastic, smaller but just as good.

The travel on these things is crucial and I like the Boss travel; had Morleys in the past - the travel on the old chrome ones was too long, and the newer ones far too short IMO.

The classic steel guitar players pedal is a Sho-Bud or an EB with a string going to the pot!

High impedance at beginning of chain, low impedance at end I think? But don't know if this would apply in an amp fx loop.

Am beginning to use the guitar vol a bit more now (instead of having that full on). Did it that way so pickup is fully 'open' all the time.....

Interesting way of doing it. Should work live as well.

My Fender Super 60 has 'pre-amp out' and 'pwr amp in'. Probably too much gain for an fx loop.

....High impedance at beginning of chain, low impedance at end I think? But don't know if this would apply in an amp fx loop.

Am beginning to use the guitar vol a bit more now (instead of having that full on). Did it that way so pickup is fully 'open' all the time.....

Yes, so on my Hot Rod Deluxe III I'm running all my effects with my volume pedal into the "Power Amp In" side. The other cable leading to my pedal chain is connected to the "Pre Amp Out". This is the FX loop on a Fender. Sounds like you aren't using the FX loop and running everything straight in, from your guitar, to the volume pedal 1st, through your pedals and then into the input jack? I guess I can try that and see what I get.

I also use the guitar's volume pots, but to clean up the signal when desired. Using the volume pedal the way I have it connected doesn't change the sonic character, which is why I am running it that way for low volume at home.

Thanks jdgm, I'll change my order and connections and see what I get the way you're running them.

Love my Fender DeVille. Really loud. I just bought a Fender 15 watt Blues Jr. due to the DeVille being more power that I really need. I also have a Dunlop Volume Pedal but barley use it.

Thanks FZ. Love the Blues Jr. You picked up the Surf Green one if I remember right?

If you do pull out the volume pedal, you might want to try it with your Deville. I posted this because I don't remember anyone ever mentioning it and I find it's a great way to go if you want to get good tone from a high powered amp when you need to quiet it down. Looking for other tips too.

Yes you can do this, the effects loops on most amps prefer either an active pedal or 25k pedal to better match the impedance. The 500k and 250k pedals do not work as well.

Just for note, this is not like an attenuator as you are not controlling the power tubes/amp. So you do lose out on that part of the tube sound. It does act as a volume control for the pre-amp section. So if you use pedals and also like just the sound of the preAmp, then this will work well.

Other than that you would be looking for an attenuator and one that could do bedroom levels.

Yes, so on my Hot Rod Deluxe III I'm running all my effects with my volume pedal into the "Power Amp In" side. The other cable leading to my pedal chain is connected to the "Pre Amp Out". This is the FX loop on a Fender. Sounds like you aren't using the FX loop and running everything straight in, from your guitar, to the volume pedal 1st, through your pedals and then into the input jack? I guess I can try that and see what I get.

I also use the guitar's volume pots, but to clean up the signal when desired. Using the volume pedal the way I have it connected doesn't change the sonic character, which is why I am running it that way for low volume at home.

Thanks jdgm, I'll change my order and connections and see what I get the way you're running them.

The way you are doing it must be better for low vol playing as you can drive the preamp and control it with the pedal....will try this way myself, next rehearsal.

If all of your gain comes from pedals, a volume pedal at the end of your pedal chain will work. If you rely on tube amp gain, it will not work because you will be drastically reducing the gain to the front end of the tube amp. If the pedals and volume knob are in the effects loop you are somewhere in between - depending on how much of your gain is coming from power tubes.

Bottom line is if it works.. it works...

It would not work for me. I do use a volume pedal but more for swells.

Archived