Gibson Brands Forums

Hey, it's my 5000th post!!! standard faded mods... (it is done... PICS!)

Thundergod

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's something odd.

I was so pleased with how it turned that out I forgot to check it out, make sure everythig was working before I buttoned her all back up. Neck pup works great, bridge pup - dead. Now WTF could I have done to mess something up. I didn't touch anything other than the pick ups and their wiring. Must be something with the wiring then. Check the switch, nothing wrong there. Checked the pots, found a bad solder joint for the + lead. Not horrible, but not great. Fixed that. Still, nuthin. OK. It's was working before I f*ucked with it so I guess I gotta undue what I did to figure out what went wrong.

Took the cover back off the bridge pup, dang thing works fine. Noticed markings from where the coil magnets from the inside coil touched the inside of the new cover. Could that be it? Shorting all the magnets out? Not likely since the neck pup wasn't having any issues but I insulated it anyway, put the cover back on, nuthin agian. Take the cover off .. pup works .. cover on .. it dies. Hmmm. At what point does it die? Put it on slowly up to the point where it cuts out and cuts out before the cover is fully on. Started check for any expose wiring that I didn't see before. Nope. Stops working when the cover touches the pickup frame. Light bulb! Frame was exposed on 3 sides. Insulated it with some electical tape and ta-da, now she works with the new cover on!!! Tighter fit too.

:-

Archived