Gibson Brands Forums

"April Sun In Cuba"

BluesKing777

I was playing around with this quite different tune from a New Zealand band called Dragon from the early 80s, I believe...and grabbed the J45 for a change, plugged it in to my Fishman Aura box and then my Boss VE8 and pressed record - my solo acoustic version of "April Sun In Cuba" for a bit of fun:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/aprilsun2777

BluesKing777.

It's a day early

Thought that was cool. Never heard that song before.

That little fishman box is the way to go for a plugged in sound isn't it ! There's one on a local ad here for less than £200 and i have no fun money about at the minute. Typical. All good things come to those who wait I suppose , but it would suit me much better to grab it rather than pay over £300

Need one of those , a play acoustic or the ve8 like yours , a fishman speaker pole or equivalent. Then I'm good to go

Just about a thousand quid short on getting there 🙄

Thanks BBG!

You don't really need the gadgets, but I .....wanted them! I guess I never have recovered from actually needing them and...not having them. So I do like experimenting with them.

So they must be due to sell a brand new version, mine has been around forever. (Fishman Aura).

BluesKing777.

Ah I'd disagree Bk

If I plug my guitar in at a gig I hate the sound so much that it kinda puts me off , I'm micing both guitar and gob at the minute with a condenser... but obviously that has its problems too. It's only a little pub gig though.

I guess I don't 'need' them. Hell none of us need most of what we have , but the more comfortable I am with what I want to sound like helps me confidence wise , and that's 80% of playing live

A friend lives in the country with nobody close by to complain, so he said ages ago for me to bring the Aura, Boss, guitar, mic setup and give a really loud belt in his PA to iron out wrinkles without too many hearing it.

But then I got the Cargill guitar and he is green with envy and was getting one but...ha....the wife said no.

So moving along..... [mellow] , I could drag it all to the blues jam but they all get a bit iffy too, your setup is more 'acceptable'. Or I could do what Tommy E use to do....About the 90s, a band I was in rehearsed at a rehearsal place with about 30 little studios with PAs/soundproof....(that place was jumping some nights, but some of the musos out the front were so poor they were sharing cigarettes...etc...), a little shop/snack bar/office and while I was there paying, TE turned up. He wanted a room to try out some electric amps really loud without bothering anyone. I wouldn't mind spending an afternoon there with my gadgets plugged in the PA in a room........ mainly because the louder this stuff goes, the more bizarre the EQ can be.

BluesKing777.

BK, I love the riff that is the intro, and the verse... it definitely sounds like Johnny45.

Very cool.

Edited....

I just listened to the original... some 1984 video that is.... horrible!

Ha. What a bad song...except how you did it. Which makes it all the more great. :)

Thanks Sal, I think I did my John Lee Hooker type thing instead of their pop thing....song again from my book of local hits.

They were a big hit in pop circles locally, but must have been a full tilt type rock band before signing to the Devil, but some friends an I saw them on their later 'descent' at a Monday night rock gig populated by mainly guitar players whose weekend drinks night was...Monday. The band all dragged themselves on stage, obviously been touring AND touring and touring and discovered Coke and all and started the set with Lou Reed's 'White Light, White Heat'.......and they were stunning.

BluesKing777.

I can't get the riff out of my head. I'm trying to nail it, but like most things on the strings... I get 80% there.

If you get bored can you YouTube your right and left hand playing the riff?

Man it's got to me!

Now my broadband is limping, so no video sorry - you wouldn't get it til Xmas.

But I will try to describe it for you......

Right Hand: John Lee Hooker leads to ZZ Top and La Grange with the thumb going boing boing boing boing on the 5th string while the index and middle play the 3rd and 2nd string simultaneously.

Chords are pure Keef (Start Me Up) in reverse......bar a plain A chord at the 2nd fret with the index finger and place the middle finger down on the 2nd string/3rd fret......play a few beats like that and then.........lift the middle finger and play the A bar chord only. Oh no theory: First chord in riff is Asus4, second is A.

I play the A chord with a short bar, but here are the notes of the sus4 in a chart:

https://cdn.musiciantuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/asus4.png

Added extras - on the second verse I add the ring finger to the 4th string/4th fret as well as the middle finger 2nd/3rd fret, again the full Keef chord but in theory the chord now becomes a Bm7/A.

And I capo up for my voice... I did record a version just acoustic and voice into mixer with guitar tuned down 3 frets and I sing rather 'deep' so capo out on the 3rd fret....1st fret for standard tuning.

But the right hand is doing similar to the riff in La Grange with the higher fingers doing that 'cut short' thing and not letting the strings ring out.

BluesKing777.

Piece of cake eh Sal 😀

Oh youse guys are hysterical when you get going..... [biggrin]

Did I make it sound too hard to play, sorry. Just strum the chords with a pick will probably work, or if you watch the original band, just grin stupidly like the guitar player while the keyboard player does the riff.....

BluesKing777.

Archived