Gibson Brands Forums

Had a K&K Pure Mini installed in my J45TV

sbpark

I've been experimenting and agonizing over which pickup to put into my guitars. I've had a few J45 Standards that had the stock LR Baggs Element and really never liked the UST type pickups. Experimented with a Fishman Aura Spectrum DI and TC Bodyrez pedal with minimal improvement. Popped a few LR Baggs Lyrics in a few guitars (D28, 000-15M, J45 Standard) and although this mic sounded good, it just seemed to require a lot of time tweaking to get the EQ right, pretty darn prone to feedback, making it less than ideal for open mics. The added bonus of the Lyric is it's awesome for recording when you don't want to mess around with a mic, but still want a great sound for quick demos, etc. Also tried an LR Baggs M1 and M80 on an old Yamaha FG441 and J45 Standard and was too metallic sounding, and kind of dulls some of the dynamics and touch sensitivity the Lyric would capture.

I've always been on the fence about the K&K's because I was hesitant to permanently glue something to the bridge plate, combined with mixed impressions after listening to clips where some examples sounded ok to good, while others sounded no better than a lot of UST's. I brought this up to the new luthier I started using to work on a few of my guitars. He did some warranty work on a Martin, and because he did such a great job on that guitar, I brought in a few more to have him work on them, including a PLEK and set up on my AJ and a set up on my J45TV. I asked him what pickup he recommended for the type of stuff I play and looking to do some open mics since I don't really play in a band anymore. He recommended the K&K. We discussed the Trance Amulet, but although he agreed they sound good, he also said they needlessly have "way too much going on, are very expensive and add quite a bit of weight to the guitar". He lent me his old 1970's Sigma that has a K&K installed. I took it home and plugged it in through my preamp/DI (Radial PZ Pre) and a little Loudbox Mini. Was surprised how good it sounded. It did require q bit of EQ to fine tune it, but was super easy to dial in with the PZ Pre. Called him and told him to put the K&K into the J45TV. Got the same result once I got the guitar back, great sound, and pretty much required the same type of EQ I used n his Sigma to get a very natural sound. If the K&K isn't EQ'd properly it can almost replicate a UST. It was much easier to EQ than the LR Baggs Lyric, and although not as natural sounding, it's darn good, super dynamic and touch sensitive, and seems to be the best compromise I could find for my uses.

Great revue........that was the push I needed to put the K&K mini in my L-00. Get it back tomorrow. Like you I use the Loudbox Mini....hoping for the same great results ;)

That little amp is surprisingly loud and sounds REALLY good for what it is. I previously had a pre-Fender SWR California Blonde, the same amp used by Lindsey Buckingham and Jackson Browne, and although it was a great sounding amp, it was WAY overkill for my uses. I don't play any gigs, and since it's just open mics I don't even need an amp, but scored a pair of Loudbox Minis for $240 ($120 each!) from a guy, and sold one to my buddy. Great little grab and go amp if you're playing with friends, or an impromptu little open mic/showcase at someone's house (which friends of mine will organize once in a while) where there isn't a PA. Also MUCH lighter and easier to carry around compared to the California Blonde!

I'm a K&K Pure fan for a few reasons.......

Simple, no frills system. No battery. Pretty much invisible install. Good tone reproduction. Captures percussive body sounds.

I have one in my Hummingbird and J-45. All that's necessary with the Schertler David Deluxe amp is a slight high mids cut........everything else is right there as it should be. I've not heard a K&K that sounded anything like an un-EQ'd UST........two different animals to my ears. Glad you're happy with yours........welcome to the club!

I'm a K&K Pure fan for a few reasons.......

Simple, no frills system. No battery. Pretty much invisible install. Good tone reproduction. Captures percussive body sounds.

I have one in my Hummingbird and J-45. All that's necessary with the Schertler David Deluxe amp is a slight high mids cut........everything else is right there as it should be. I've not heard a K&K that sounded anything like an un-EQ'd UST........two different animals to my ears. Glad you're happy with yours........welcome to the club!

I think what I was trying to say is an un-EQ'd K&K, that also has an impedance mismatch between the pickup and the preamp/DI or amp, board, etc. still had that sort of muted, slightly quacky frequency range accentuated and sounds so lifeless and uninspiring, like a UST. All I really needed to do with the K&K, as you mentioned, was cut some of the high mids and the pickup comes to life and sounds so much more natural. And yes, it picks up a surprisingly large amount of percussive body sounds (not that I play that kind of stuff, more like old country standards and more modern Americana type stuff) but the K&K does it in a smoother, more pleasing to the ear way compared the way the LR Baggs M80 picks up body sounds.

I've had a few K&Ks, absolutely love the one in my '67 J45. I had a D18 with one in a couple of years back too which was a rather uninspiring instrument acoustically but plugged in was sweet as a nut.

I wouldn't put one in a Jumbo (too much boom and low end feedback) but for everything else they're peachy.

I have them in my J50 and my HD28. I run them through a RedEye preamp and into either the Fishman or Bose.

They both sound great, although I will say that when we play in a tight space, and it's loud... the HD28 feeds back. I finally bought a sound plug.

If one is playing in a quiet setting, the feedback is not an issue...

I've tried a KK mini and Trance both are great, the difference in weight is minimal (if one could even tell, I couldn't)

I put 3 Amuletts in my Gibsons don't have any K&K. anymore .Your ears are all that matters.Enjoy it , good is good

and either one is better then most that are on the market today.imho

Is this the same guy who "misplaced" your AJ?

Archived