Gibson Brands Forums

My New 2016 Gibson J45 Standard Has Shipped!

RainboGuy

As promised, here is a picture of my new 2016 Gibson J-45 standard.

Personally, I think it's a truly beautiful looking guitar. From the time I received it back from the luthier I had work on the action by trimming the Tusq saddle, I have played around with the truss rod to give it that perfectly buttery-smooth all up and down the neck action that I love. Now...it's THERE....and I am a happy camper.

I do have a question for you J-45 players out there who think that the (as-shipped) Gibson Masterbuilt 12's are a little "too much"...and like a tad lighter feel.......What strings have you found that give you the best "feel" for your J-45's?

My guitar was built in Bozeman in January of this year and since the strings have been on her from the get-go, I would like to do a string change and thought it might be a good time to look at some different strings.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated in advance. Thank you!

post-37593-004876600 1495483464_thumb.jpg

You'll probably want 12's to get the most out of a J-45. I use DR Sunbeam PB 12's, which have slightly lower tension and a little "softer" feel (they bend easier) because they are wound on a round core.

Tonally they're similar to new MB Premiums, but with a bit more sustain, and they retain that "new" tone a LOT longer.

Strings really are a matter of personal choice, and you'll get a hundred different opinions here.

Archived