Gibson Brands Forums

Newest of the newbies

Vince Q

Hello all. Vince here. At 59 might I qualify for senior status?

Just got back into playing guitar after about an 11-year hiatus. Decided that I wanted a Paul, being pretty much a Strat man since I started playing 40+ years ago. I knew I had probably lost my chops but I didn't know how badly until I wrapped my hands around my recently-purchased black '81 Deluxe.

My Les Paul history includes a used '72 wine red Custom and a used '68 black Custom, both bought back around 1977: For the wine red Custom I paid $350, and $450 for the blackie. In '79 I decided to buy a brand new LP and went to Guz Zoppi Music Center here in the Detroit area and paid $600 out the door for a brand new black Custom. I ordered it with nickel hardware because the gold hardware looks cheesy when the gold wears off. It had black plastic trim parts so I switched them out for cream-colored parts a la a Standard. Great looking guitar.

After deciding to get back into guitar playing and knowing I wanted a Les Paul came the question of what model. I went to a Guitar Center and played a new Standard: It sounded awful, totally muffled as if the tone were turned down to zero. I even checked to make sure the tone on the guitar was turned up and it was, and also on the amp I was playing through. That result was repeated with a couple more Standards through a couple more amps; so, I decided to get a Deluxe. Love it. Playing it through my Fender Twin it has exactly the sound I want for playing chorded jazz melodies.

I simply can't believe how expensive guitars in general (and LPs in particular) have become! What happened between then and now? Still pretty much two or three pieces of wood and some wire, right?

Anyway, looking forward to reading about all of your advice and experiences with LPs to get me back up to speed.

V

Welcome to the forum Vince. I am a Detroit native and I have to say Detroit is a great place to be from. I got my first Les Paul at the Guitar Center off Gratiot in Roseville. Welcome again and keep on posting until you can join us in the lounge, that is where the interesting content is.

Thanks guys. Mega, that Guitar Center in Roseville is the one I was referring to in my intro. Lived just up the road from there in Clinton Township before moving up to Manistee.

Retired, loved that episode of The Munsters that is your avatar. Got any "nuthin muffins"?

1499175418[/url]' post='1866220']

Thanks guys. Mega, that Guitar Center in Roseville is the one I was referring to in my intro. Lived just up the road from there in Clinton Township before moving up to Manistee.

Retired, loved that episode of The Munsters that is your avatar. Got any "nuthin muffins"?

The Munsters has always been one of my favorite tv series. I have the sets so I can watch them anytime. I've tried to get this avatar accepted for a long time but it wouldn't work. One day I was fooling around and it worked so I think I'll keep it. I've got many complements on it. If I couldn't get this avatar I was going to try Herman smuggling home a Gibson I found. He was hiding behind a bush, lol. Thought, that's me! That's how I got my first Gold Top, then had to explain to the wife I got a super deal on it Honey! She's always in to getting great deals you know. I got a 2007 Gibson GT Standard for $1,400.00 new that listed for $3,445.00 in 2007. Bought it 2013 and GC didn't really know what they had. So it was sold for used and on sale. They even had the model and year wrong and then chased me down in the parking lot wanting it back after I paid for it. I just laughed at them.

Archived