Gibson Brands Forums

OJ v. Fuller's J-35

nid2007

I can't speak for the J35 but I've had my 03 OJ for a couple of weeks now and it is a great sounding guitar. It is by far the best Montana Gibson of the four that I've owned and one of those was a J45 Legend.

The OJ does not have the tapered body that the J-35 does. Also, the OJ can be a sitka or adirondack topped guitar. The J-35 is adirondack. I have had both. The OJ is a great guitar but between my models the Fuller's J-35 had a thicker voice with better bass on the low E string. If I was going to recommend one over the other it would be the J-35 because of the tone and the slightly more comfortable feel of the body.

good luck

Mike

fp: The OJ sunburst is accurate to the burst on the original Jumbo Gibson made sometime in the 30's. It's a throwback and I think it's cool. It's all good.

Mikey, well thats the only thing they got correct on mine. Did I mention the tapered body and the three on a plate enclosed Kluson tuners. Neither of those features is accurate.

I'm certainly not saying that I don't like this guitar, I do but Gibson couldn't get anything accurate to the original specs on their instruments if somebody held a gun to their head and demanded them to.

Hi everyone,

I do have both models, but the '03 J-35 is by far my favorite. It was one of the last of a batch of sitka-topped '35s ordered by Fuller's, and it 'bloomed' considerably after a setup by Marcus at Music Villa during last year's Homecoming.

I'm away in the southeast right now, visiting family, or I'd go try them both out for sound comparisons, but I think the comment on 'dry bite' for the OJ is right on. I personally like a little bit more 'warmth,' or sustain, for my back-up guitars, and the J-35 with medium 80/20s is it! It's also my favorite because I had to go through more efforts to get it set up right and realize how much I liked it: it even went back to Bozeman at one point!

But right now, my favorite oldtime backup guitar is my '07 AJ! This thing is great.. <smile>

Dave in SLC

So..........Dave' date=',,, as your AJ is getting all the love, you might be up for a trade?[/quote']

Hi Hoss,

Well, as a matter of fact, I might!=P~

Hmm.. lemme see.. :-k I might be willing to trade my '03 OJ; the '91(?) AJ; maybe the '46 LG-2; the UMGF Custom #21; <mutter, mutter>

Any interest in a Fawley-necked banjo?!O:)

Dave in SLC

Archived