Gibson Brands Forums

London-Nashville direct flight coming in 2018

Riffster

Some excitement going on in town since British Airways has made the official announcement that there will be a direct flight to London starting around may 2018.

I think it is great not just for the obvious reasons but also as a way to get to Europe.

This may not be big news to folks in large cities but it is a big deal around here.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/36086902/nashville-airport-to-provide-direct-flights-to-london-in-may-2018

During my military days I traveled the world by ship. When to many a cool port and did many bad things and lived to tell, just not to the wife.

Me too as a young man, when I was a yardbird. Travel by ship used to be classy, spend all day reading a good book and writing letters home, put on a tux and have dinner, cognac and some music after. Travel today is just a bunch of bus passengers in the air hoping not to catch bird flu or SARS from some dirtbag. My flying days are long over now. If we can't drive we don't go.

rct

I am excited because while I have been to Europe I have not been to England and Ireland, my wife and I dragged our feet a bit too long in planning that trip and then it was time to have kids. We regret not going. I also hate flight connections as of late.

A few years ago at a restaurant a British couple were sitting by us and they were in awe of my daughter and they gave me a British pound and said one day when she goes to England let this be the first pound she spends over there. I don't know if this is a tradition or what but it was a cool coincidence.

Hope it comes together for you Riffster. I took my wife for a month's travel in the UK 20 years ago before we had kids and it was great. I've been over to London/Europe 7 times over the past 10 years or so with work but typically by myself and even though it's a long trip (35 hours or so door to door) I really like the town.

I'm taking my wife and 2 oldest kids for 2 weeks in London in November as my eldest graduates high school and that's where they decided they wanted to go. I'll look forward to 'sharing' it with them and enjoy playing tourist rather than fitting things in between meetings. Highly recommended [thumbup]

Archived