Gibson Brands Forums

' Loudbox Artist' Series Acoustic Amp, By Fishman!

Billy C.

Hey, guys!

Just acquired one of these within the last week, purchased from a shop in Lexington, Ky. This one is the limited edition mahogany version. The cabinet work and woodgrain is striking. It has a hand-rubbed mahogany, oil-based finish. Lovely. (Two channels on this, of course and you can use XLR OR 1/4" plugs at BOTH inputs.) More attractive and useable features on it than a naked lady posing in an art studio. So, I played both of my Gibsons (J-180 and J-160E) and also the 'Steiny' Ike Everly through it (J-180 and the 'Ike' each 'miked', using Shure SH55, series 2 on the floor pole). Also played both the J-180 and Steinegger Ike with a (detachable) 'acoustic tube' pickup fitted to both guitars, so as to compare what came out.

...And the 'pure acoustic sound' I got? GLORIOUS, in spades with lots and lots of bloom and clarity and (omg), POWER! Here, in a very compact and tidy package is a great acoustic amp, it's a keeper! Since the J-160 'Peace' guitar has a P-90 built-in, I tried it direct-plugged...NICE! Just to keep things honest, then I 'miked' the J-160E and it came out of this 'loudbox' sounding much more 'open' without the plug....drifting out of the Fishman with a more 'open', sweet voice. Remember that woody twang from the strummed J-160E on 'A Taste of Honey'? (Early Beatles,'62-'63). There it was...and this amp isn't a Vox! Incidentally, this Loudbox Artist is the middle amp in the series at 120 watts and (you will have to trust me on this)...120 watts is MORE amp than many might need...I mean, like through the freakin roof! All the volume and natural acoustic tone you may need is there, if/when you need it.

Incidentally if you aren't yet aware, Fishman builds two other versions...also offered in the limited mahogany cabs...Loudbox 'Mini' at 60-watts and the big-bro in this family, the (180 watt) Loudbox 'Performer'. Great guns, what would anyone do with all that 'juice'?!

VOCALS sound really terrific through this little guy as well and I noted exceptional quality of the eight built-in effects on both channels. The effects on both channels can be balanced and blended on output, which is a nice touch and there is a mute switch on both channels, also a footswitch input on the rear panel for remote control of channel muting and effect muting. An extra (third) XLR socket on rear panel for use, as desired. Can you spell 'versatile'? (You would want to know, the chorus effects and reverbs are especially outstanding on these little-but-loud Fishman amps.) Also, you will find an anti-feedback control on each channel, they are eminently useful while playing in different rooms, especially spaces with inordinately 'live' acoustics.

Overall appraisal? This little amp is nothing short of being merely terrific, really! OK, so it costs about $200 more than the standard, maroon plastic-covered version but entirely worth every penny for the added good-looks and 'warmth' the wood contributes, IMHO. Not to mention, DURABILITY because the standard versions of these amps have been criticized for easily torn and disfigured covering material. Appears THAT is about their only genuinely-garnered grievance! These little (25.5 pound) Fishman amps equaled, in some cases bested the $1,200 'AER compact 60' series amp in several comparison tests which I reviewed beforehand and so I decided to go for this one, since I like a genuine wood cabinet and was in need of a quality acoustic amp that was in addition, easy to 'port'. BTW, these amps also ship packaged with an included fabric dust/rain cover, so you won't have to shell-out for one later, should you find that item useful on the road or at your home.

Am very pleased with this purchase and in every way. Moreover, I would wager quite a number of you would be thrilled to hear your own Gibson acoustic through one of these little friends, too.

I had the Loudbox Performer. Two of them in succession, in fact. Loved the sound for guitar and vocals, really great sound. Sadly both died after a few months of use and went back to Fishman, were repaired and died again. The drivers in the Performer aren’t tough enough for regular live work which was a massive disappointment for me.

When my Performers were being repaired I was lent an artist which I preferred in every sense-better sounding and easier to carry about. The Performer has an annoying hard knee compressor in the power amp circuit which the Artist doesn’t have, and sounds all the better for it.

In the end I got exasperated with the unreliability of the Performer amps and returned my second one to the store I purchased it from, exchanging it for a DV Mark Acoustic AC101H. Great sounding and super versatile little combo which so far hasn’t missed a beat. Love it!

I've had one for not quite a year,, maybe 6/7 months? Just the standard fair with the plastic/tolex, what ever it is. I also have the cover which has helped. I'm using it a lot, it's always on the move. it's still in perfect condition cosmetics wise.

This replaced a fender Acoustasonic jr, which wasn't a bad sounding amp. I use the Fender now where the band sets up for rehearsals, turns out, it's a KILLER amp for my mandolin, as well as some of the acoustic duties I toss its way. The fishman is half the size/weight, and definitely sounds better.

the loudbox artist for me, has been a success so far with no issues. Impressive how loud, and clean they are.

Rock on!!

After another week has gone by and with much additional playing time on it, I continue to be enthralled with this wonderful little acoustic amp. It's really a joy to use. Only wish some of you other guys had the benefit to experience, with what precision it enlarges and projects every sonic nuance your Gibson acoustic can deliver! It really is something quite special.

After another week has gone by and with much additional playing time on it, I continue to be enthralled with this wonderful little acoustic amp. It's really a joy to use. Only wish some of you other guys had the benefit to experience, with what precision it enlarges and projects every sonic nuance your Gibson acoustic can deliver! It really is something quite special.

Congrats on your purchase - awesome that it keeps impressing you more... the best type of purchase!

Archived