Gibson Brands Forums

Comparing my 2 Les Pauls...

Xuestor

Hey!

I own 2 Les Pauls, One 1958 Les Paul Standard VOS, with the Burstbucker 1 & 2, and one Les Paul Standard Faded, with the same pickup configuration. My thoughts are to use the Faded as a backup-guitar. However, the sound is way more harsh on the faded. I know they aren't alike bodywise and all that, but after checking out the wiring, I see that they have different capacitors (I'm no handyman what-so-ever). The VOS has these really big capacitors, and the Faded les paul only has really small ones. Can I do something about this to get a darker and more matching sound on the Faded Les Paul?

Thanks!

/Xuestor

That's a good call Xuestor.

They have different caps indeed. The Faded has 2 small (orange) ceramic caps, while the VOS has 2 PIO caps. The Faded Les Paul is a VERY bright sounding guitar by nature, so I can understand that it's way more harsh than your VOS (apart from the caps).

My Faded Les Paul also sounds thin and harsh without the depth/warmth a LP is known for, especially compared to my heavier and solidly build 80's Les Paul Standard. The chambered body, lightweight and the overall quality of the Faded Les Paul (including woods/construction etc.) are responsible for its harsh tone. Your VOS has a solid body, the Faded has a chambered body.

Unless you changed them, the pickups are not the same.

Your Faded has Burstbucker Pro pickups; whereas the R8 has Burstbuckers.

The difference is the magnet, alnico II in the BBs vs. alnico V in the BB Pros.

The caps in your R8 are fake BumbleeBees. Fake in the sense that they are not paper in oil caps like in the original LPs.

You can buy new paper in oil Bees from eBay or RS Guitarworks, around $40 a pair.

Unless you changed them' date=' the pickups are not the same.

The difference is the magnet, alnico II in the BBs vs. alnico V in the BB Pros.[/quote']

I was going to pint the same... still fast eh?

Unless you changed them' date=' the pickups are not the same.

The difference is the magnet, alnico II in the BBs vs. alnico V in the BB Pros.

The caps in your R8 are fake BumbleeBees. Fake in the sense that they are not paper in oil caps like in the original LPs.

You can buy new paper in oil Bees from eBay or RS Guitarworks, around $40 a pair.[/quote']

You lost me here with the caps :- I like the sound from my R8, it's the faded i want to change.

Will I get a less harsh sound if I change the pickups to SD alnico II Pro pickups?

I've never tried SD pickups; so, I couldn't tell you but going to an alnico II magnet from a V is probably what you're looking for.

Look at your caps again. The R8 has big (Bumblebee) caps and the Faded has small (ceramic) disc caps, right?

Replacing just the caps in your Faded will not make that guitar sound like your R8.

Maybe if you go all out and replace the pickups, pot & caps you'll get close.

The pots have different values as well. R8 - 500k volume & tone pots. Faded - 300K volume pots & 500k tone pots.

Good luck.

So, I've looked around, and have some questions =D>

I guess I want long-shaft pots, so these will be good? Pots from Ebay

Then a Pair of SD Alnico II Pro Pickups.

And finally some Capacitors. I really wanna use the same seller for everything, so I found these: Capacitors from Ebay

They are available in: 0.22uf, 0.1uf, 0.047uf, 0.033uf and 0.01uf.

He also has this one: More Caps

They are available in 0.047uf and 0.022uf.

Which are the best for me?

Cheers!

I've never tried SD pickups; so' date=' I couldn't tell you but going to an alnico II magnet from a V is probably what you're looking for.

Look at your caps again. The R8 has big (Bumblebee) caps and the Faded has small (ceramic) disc caps, right?

Replacing just the caps in your Faded will not make that guitar sound like your R8.

Maybe if you go all out and replace the pickups, pot & caps you'll get close.

The pots have different values as well. R8 - 500k volume & tone pots. Faded - 300K volume pots & 500k tone pots.

Good luck.[/quote']

is this true in regular standards too (300k volume and 500k tone?)

Xuestor:

1. The original run of the 1958 Historic Reissue Vintage Original Specifications Les Paul is equipped with Sprague "Bumblebee" Capacitors and includes such a certificate to that point:

Example: 0.0046mF

1600V DC

+/-20%

While these have not been sitting on a shelf at Gibson since 1958. They are not fake. They are made as close to original specs as is done today.

2. The dimension is to be approx. 1/16 from the underside of the string to the top of the pickup when the string is depressed at the last fret of the fingerboard.

3. "The Vintage Original Series is manufactured with a mellow appearance and patina surface layer above eight coats of individually applied and hand sanded nitrocelluose finish to create the mellow appearance of a well cared for vintage instrument."

4. Note To Dealer: "In order to preserve the delicate coloring of this beautiful Gibson Instrument's surface patina, avoid displaying it in show windows where it will be subjected to direct or excessive sunrays."

Steve

Archived